John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:37:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitor Help - Replacement possible?  (Read 1507 times)
kellygeorge

View Profile
« on: April 11, 2017, 07:35:02 pm »

Hello all. I just picked up a Crusin' USA machine from Ebay. It was playing ok, then this morning I lost all color except red. Eventually it came back, but by mid afternoon I lost the entire display. The game is still playing, just no picture. I explored the monitor troubleshooting flow charts, so I have a few ideas of what to check, but to be honest I am a noob.

I was also considering replacing the CRT with a new flatscreen monitor. I've seen the CGA to VGA adapter boards that would be necessary. My questions is if that would even be an option at this point? Or is it a bigger problem than the monitor itself? I'd hate to buy all the stuff and put it all together and still end up with no picture.

Here is an image of when it was working this morning, full color.
http://imgur.com/a/837XF

Thanks for your help.
esqueleto

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 03:24:50 pm »

You should poke around inside the cab, it could be something as simple as a loose connection. Always start with power and make sure you have AC voltage going to the monitor! Then make sure the RGBHV plug is fully seated. Take some photo's inside the cab and report back, probably wells gardner medium resolution in there.

Joysticks and flip tricks...art, skateboarding and classic arcade gaming!

DK, DK JR., Punchout, TMNT, NBA Jam, Narc, MKII, Outrun, Dragons Lair, Neo Geo 4 slot, GT 2006 Complete, Operation Wolf, Sega 18 Wheeler, Pole Position, Tempest, Super Street Fighter 2, Frogger, Winding Heat and a few more
BaldiGit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 02:56:50 am »

I have tried the CGA to VGA adapters. I did it for a friend on a Do Ru Run. There was a lot of mucking about attenuating to get it to sync, but we got there in the end. But it looked horribly fuzzy. The issue you get is the old arcade stuff is usually around 640 x 480 resolution. The flat displays only look crisp at there native resolution. Even though the adapter upscales it. We could only get to 1024 x 900. And it looked horrible. My advice would be keep the crt. Find out what make and model it is and sit on Google for answers. It could be something as simple as the colour transistors on the neck board. But they don't usually go all at once. Usually you start missing one colour. Have the capacitors been replaced lately?
sjlewis78

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 06:07:14 am »

If you have a u5000, like I do in my Cruisin, the neckboard was poorly designed and the traces around the color transistors get burned up pretty bad.

You say you got no picture, but do you still have neck glow? It would indicate if you still have high voltage. I repaired mine that was dead by replacing the HOT and reflowing the neckboard and repairing lots of traces around the color transistors.
Hooligan93

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 03:12:26 pm »

Had a Makvision2425 doing this. Ended up being a bad capacitor c511 that is on the power up circuit.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: