John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:09:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions every new person to the hobby should ask:  (Read 2761 times)
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:44:07 pm »

This is a work in progress, I'll be updating it when new questions come up that I didn't think of at the original time of writing this.

A few good questions you need to ask yourself before getting into this hobby.

Q "how much room do I have?"

Games take up a lot of room. its easy to spend money and have a room full of games but that doesn't leave you any room to walk around. Plan out the area you intend on using for your arcade before you start buying. Also know the general dimensions of the machine your looking at before you buy it. theres not much worse than spending a few hundred dollars then finding out your basement celing isnt tall enough or theres rafters blocking it from getting into your arcade.

Q "how much work does this require to restore?"

While yes it's a good idea to pick up broken games and fix them, you also want an idea of what the repair costs are going to be on the particular machine your looking at. For instance if its a incredibly obscure game the parts for it aren't going to be as easy to get as a really common mass produced game. So don't automatically assume all the parts are going to be cheap.

That said if you love the machine and are willing to pay a little more to have it working right and look great more power to you but be aware some items are costly to replace.

Q "How much time do I want to spend on a restoration?"

This is a highly dependant question you need to ask. The reason I bring this up is, lets say you purchase a machine that needs a ton of work, new bumpers, all new drop targets, every single part is grimy and dirty and needs cleaned, its missing a pop bumper, ect.

If you don't have time to work on it the machine is going to sit there, and sit there unplayable and be in the way if you don't have a lot of room. While its sitting there broken and unplayable your not enjoying it and its in your way.

Also keep in mind that if you don't have spare parts, and im not saying run out and buy a ton of spare parts. but if you dont have the spare parts you'll need to wait on shipping times which can be anywhere from 3 - 7 days usps and i believe 3 - 5 via ups.

recap on this question, if its not working its taking up room, have an idea of how much time you want to devote to the project, and keep in mind shipping times.

Q "How do I find games?"

The answer to this question is network. Make friends with people who are in this community. They can be invaluable for leads on games and can give you much needed advice or at least point you in the right direction on repairing and or restoring a game if your stuck.

Q "How do I know what specific part goes into the machine?"

This is an important question, but also an easy to answer question in most cases. Games come with manuals, usually this information is recorded in the manual. If you can't find a PDF online it's some times possible to find the manuals on ebay. Or you can try asking the nice folks here and we'll see what we can do to assist within reason.

Q "Where do I find parts?"

One major supplier is Suzo Happ formerly known as Happ controls.

http://na.suzohapp.com/#&panel1-1

On the main page of John's site he's made a good list of links that may or may not be helpful to you.

http://www.johnsarcade.com/other_stuff.php

Questions update 1/10/13

Q "Should I buy new or used?

This is a complex question. From a money stand point, are you willing to buy used learn how your new machine works, repair things that are broken? Or will you have to source that out to someone with the knowledge that may or may not be in your local area making it even more expensive. Used games generally have issues or the seller probably wouldn't be selling it. This isn't always the case as there is deals to be had but its like a used car, if you don't know whats under the hood you might want to have someone with you that does so they can help you price what its going to cost to get the game even playable.

This can be to your advantage too as they can help you talk the price down a little bit. A little elbow grease can make a OK machine into a great machine.

Or

You can go the MIB route {MIB = Mint In Box} route. New pinball machines usually range in the 3,500 - 4,500 - 5,000 {remember shipping}. While this is rather expensive the machine is pretty much guaranteed to work. Stern tests there machines and offers a warranty protecting you from it breaking down. Older machines don't have a warranty and are sold "AS IS" if it breaks its all on you unless your buying it from a reputable dealer that offers a warranty on the machines they sell.

Either method is going to take cash, the used method has more time into it checking it over and possible replacement costs on parts to factor in. Nicer older machines are going to cost more than what it call "patchwork" machines where the machine has been patched together incorrectly until almost nothing on it works. The price is cheaper but your going to be in for the log haul on some of these patch work machines to get them going.

While they might require repairs I still think that there's a certain sense of accomplishment about fixing your own machines. It's that little bit of cleverness figuring out how its broke and knowing how to fix it finding the part and putting it back together. Which is far more interesting than it just being pulled out of a box and set up. Faster yes but it's not really as rewarding as bringing the machine back to life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats all I've got for the moment. As I expand my knowledge and think of new things to add or get suggestions ill update this list.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:42:02 pm by Shadaw_The_Rampage » Logged

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 05:26:59 pm »

Transportation Of Games

A few considerations before we get started.

What is the games dimensions? Will it fit? Do you need a trailer to get it home? How far will you need to take it from the buyer to home?

If you know the dimensions and that it will fit in your car then that's the best way to go. Trailers are do able too but there riskier as most trailers aren't known for there smooth rides. The distance is takes is also a factor because around the corner from where you live isn't as rough on a machine as if you load it in Utah and drive it to California!

Depending on your ride again:

If pinball machine, check the machine over, if the head is with it check the back glass holder. If the back glass is loose remove it from the holder and put it somewhere safe in your car that its not going to slide out and break or be damaged in any way shape or form.

If the coin door of the pinball machine is missing check the play field and under it for anything loose that may fall out in transport. You don't want to lose reusable parts that simply came loose because the item fell out when you didn't notice.

Also check the play field glass. If its loose remove it, if its sturdy put a few good padded towels over it. You want to keep it nice or at least not damage it more obviously as its not cheap to replace. Plexi glass is usually safer in this respect as it doesnt normally shatter. It can however be scratched and that can be as bad or worse!

If you remove the play field carefully place the towels over the exposed play field. It acts as a net to keep your pieces from getting lost in your car and acts as a way to keep things from getting in and hurting or scratching your play field. Silk Screened details are precious on older machines you want to be careful with them.

Place the head board so its back is laying on the floor of your car, do not set the headboard down on its side or glass. Make sure its secure and will not move.
The bottom of the pinball machine should also not be placed on its side.

- Arcade Games

Depending on the game and size

Stand up cabinets, check the monitor, make sure its securely in there, if that comes out it will fall down and hit everything in the lower part and possibly smash the tube which renders the monitor useless. Check the glass on the marquee and the front of the monitor. make sure its sturdy or remove them and place them somewhere safe in your car.

Place it down on its back, put a towel down if your concerned about the back being damaged. If you remove the marquee to keep it safe because its loose also remove the bulb as you don't want it coming loose from its socket and smashing.

Check the coin mechs make sure there not loose and wont fall in when your place the game down on its back. This usually isn't an issue but if it comes out it could smack into something. Its just a precaution for the cautious. 20 seconds checking the coin mech or rushing and having to pay money for new parts.

- more than one game -

If your traveling taking more than one game at a time, use padding between the two games on all sides front and back. If there is a way to strap them down this would be preferable WITH padding as the straps if too tight can do damage.

Here is a horror story for you, a buyer bought a Dracula pinball game. No it wasn't me. Anyways he had it shipped to him, and the shipping company had taken the head off, and used those wench straps to strap it down super super tight to the point that the glass shattered, there was indents in the metal in the shape of the head it was horrifying.

The moral of this story is, there's being cautious and being way overly cautious. Strap them down, but when its tight its tight, don't over do it.

That's all for this time, As usual if you have tips or suggestions let me know and ill update this post. I'd prefer personal messages.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 01:44:10 am »

you left out "How much should i swear if i drop it on my foot"  and "who needs a diningroom when you can stuff it full of games"
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 01:46:07 am »

you left out "How much should i swear if i drop it on my foot"  and "who needs a diningroom when you can stuff it full of games"

I'm trying to keep this a serious post.

STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 03:37:58 am »

ok i understand...sry bout that.
Im going to pick up another four machines today.
whats the easiest way to get those up 3 flights of stairs by yourself?  
yes i am serious.and i am new to this hobby.
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 03:41:42 am »

also (because this happen to me with a loose power supply board)  look inside the cab and check for loose debris...
you may break something just moving it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: