John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:09:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The ULTIMATE Craig's List search string - let's perfect it  (Read 113202 times)
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2014, 05:39:36 pm »

Below is how I search Craig's List for arcade games.

I use MULTIPLE search terms in MULTIPLE areas. I have many notifications going at once in multiple areas. Besides the search terms below, I also use separate game specific search terms with only one or two words like "" and also manufacturer terms like "Taito"

First things first, get the plug-in for Chrome that is linked below and use the below search terms, and any others that are specific to your needs in MULTIPLE areas. You need to be willing to drive. I used to search a 100 mile radius to find deals. Set up multiple notifications in multiple areas using all of the search terms below plus any single manufacturer or game title you are looking for. Set these all up as individual search term notifications. You will have many going at once. This is what you want.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/popup-notifications-for-c/aenadocogjnkbmchfnkpipdinoleakbj?hl=en-US

=============================

SEARCH TERM #1 (Pins and vids)

Code:
((pin ball)|(coin operated)|(upright game)|(standup game)|(coin game)|coin-op|(coin op)|(quarters game)|coinop|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade)

SEARCH TERM #2 (vids only has NEO GEO focus too)

Code:
((takes quarters)|(coin operated)|(upright game)|(standup game)|(coin game)|coin-op|(coin op)|(quarters game)|coinop|neogeo|neo-geo|(neo geo)|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|aracade)

NOTE I have neo geo terms in the above. If you are looking for a specific title replace those with spelling variations of a game or manufacturer you really want. For instance, "Taito" is a great search term as they really didn't do anything but arcade games.

SEARCH TERM #3 (more vids)

Code:
("coin op*"|(upright|standup|coin*|quarter*|taito|bally|midway game|arcade)|coin-op*|coinop|neogeo|"neo-geo"|"neo geo"|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|aracade) -wash* -xbox -dry* -tic*

=========================

Also -- you can use Search Tempest:

To use this in http://www.SearchTempest.com do the following after you put in your zip code and the above search term:

Press "Direct Results Mode" then "Open Results Window"

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 12:09:18 pm by John's Arcade » Logged
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 05:52:38 pm »

-fire

sodding arcade fire band non stop touring.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:34:32 pm »

I've been trying to perfect the ultimate CL search term.

Here's what I am using:

((pin ball)|(coin operated)|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade) -tickets -tix -laundromat -sony -xbox -wii -ps3 -playstation -2600 -nes -DS -xbox360

Thoughts??!?

yeah just don't do it backways you might summon the devil
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:54:48 pm »

Thanks to your searching skills John, I talked to the guy with that great looking popeye and he agreed to sell it to me. I'll bring it home next Saturday!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:04:06 pm »

i have also
-snes
-genesis
-fischer
-ps2
-gba
-gameboy
-tires

i cant remember if i have anymore than that

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
UnwoundS3GA

I am otherwise known as Arcade Perfection

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 09:20:00 am »

I don't know if it can get anymore perfect! Smiley
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 11:15:47 am »

-fire

sodding arcade fire band non stop touring.

Ya, getting tired of seeing tickets for sale.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 12:27:08 pm »

Thanks to your searching skills John, I talked to the guy with that great looking popeye and he agreed to sell it to me. I'll bring it home next Saturday!

That's awesome! Congrats!
jasonsmith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:11 am »

Been playing with this string today and all of a sudden I got a pile of coin op washers and dryers and coffee machines.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 08:13:00 am »

Been playing with this string today and all of a sudden I got a pile of coin op washers and dryers and coffee machines.

LOL!

I really think the coin-operated string is important. I have seen many arcade games not listed with the word "arcade" in it.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 08:24:37 am »

I'm adding some more coin-op tags in here and removing some of the "-" tags to stay under the search string limit.

((pin ball)|(coin operated)|(coin game)|coin-op|(coin op)|jamma|coinop|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade) -tickets -tix -laundromat -ps3 -360

You can use this in Search Tempest but you need to click "Open Results Window" in order for this massive string to work.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:51:26 am by John's Arcade » Logged
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 09:46:48 am »

I've also found games under upright games, standup games and arcadia.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:55:51 am by arcadefan1985 » Logged

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 11:12:28 am »

Oh, I like that!

((pin ball)|(coin operated)|(upright game)|(standup game)|(coin game)|coin-op|(coin op)|jamma|coinop|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade) -tickets
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:14:10 am by John's Arcade » Logged
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 11:58:59 am »

Oh, I like that!

((pin ball)|(coin operated)|(upright game)|(standup game)|(coin game)|coin-op|(coin op)|jamma|coinop|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade) -tickets

-jo Smiley

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 06:01:36 pm »

Just ran your search term and found this gem on craigslist:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/vgm/4333618285.html

Pains me I can't go get it... an hour away...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: