John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:41:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: The ULTIMATE Craig's List search string - let's perfect it  (Read 113199 times)
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2015, 09:53:10 pm »

Heard you reference this thread on your youtube channel so had to see what it could find in my area.  I believe the "space"  in (takes quarters) means the thread must have both the words "takes" and "quarters".  anyway these first few are key I think.

((takes quarters)|(coin operated)|(upright game)|(standup game)|(coin game)|arcade) -xbox -playstation -fisher

found this SI cabaret for $50 and paid less than that today.  Notice no mention of the word arcade and the guy said he hadn't been getting any interest.  Probably could have gotten the thing for free.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/clt/4819689579.html

Wow, dude! You got that thing because of my search term!? That's amazing! And, I am super jealous. That's the space invaders I want to get. NICE! Those cabs are sweet.
Stratus72

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2015, 08:25:29 am »

Hello.  Brand new to the forum.  Where is the actual ' search term?'  I can't seem to find it.  Thanks.
Stratus72

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2015, 08:28:04 am »

Disregard...I found it.  It was right in front of me!
bubbaganu

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 04:12:42 pm »

Holy shit snacks! I tried this search string and immediately found a "pin ball what takes a " and 24 hours later I picked up this beaut for $150:

http://imgur.com/a/kkApD

First of all Steve Richie is my favorite pinball designer, and this is a Steve Richie design, and this is the first Steve Richie I am adding to my collection . Second,  according to pinside: this is the first pinball to use multiball, the first pinball to use a flipper as a way to change lane lights, and the second pin to use speech (Gorgar used 3 words of speech, Fire Power used 7). I am beyond stoked.

We plugged it in with a cord that looked like it came from an old lamp and it immediately caught on fire but this is an absolute steal.

I would like to thank John for teaching me how to exploit them cricket eating hill folk what beset me from all die-rections.  Yeow!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pins: Addams Family, Space Shuttle, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Firepower, Rollergames, Jungle Lord
Games: Pole Position, Battle Shark, Afterburner, Galaga, Punch-Out!!, Asteroids, Missile Command, Outrun, Super Off Road, Marvel Vs. Capcom, Dragon's Lair, Paperboy, Spy Hunter, , Baby Pacman
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 06:55:18 pm »

Holy shit snacks! I tried this search string and immediately found a "pin ball what takes a " and 24 hours later I picked up this beaut for $150:

http://imgur.com/a/kkApD

First of all Steve Richie is my favorite pinball designer, and this is a Steve Richie design, and this is the first Steve Richie I am adding to my collection . Second,  according to pinside: this is the first pinball to use multiball, the first pinball to use a flipper as a way to change lane lights, and the second pin to use speech (Gorgar used 3 words of speech, Fire Power used 7). I am beyond stoked.

We plugged it in with a cord that looked like it came from an old lamp and it immediately caught on fire but this is an absolute steal.

I would like to thank John for teaching me how to exploit them cricket eating hill folk what beset me from all die-rections.  Yeow!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude! That is so awesome!! CONGRATS ON THE PIN! WOOED
thegleek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2015, 12:00:57 am »

Holy shit snacks! I tried this search string and immediately found a "pin ball what takes a " and 24 hours later I picked up this beaut for $150

Good stuff indeed! That 1980 Williams pin in great condition normally sells for $925 (source: 2015 mr pinball price guide)
otifrank

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2015, 06:57:22 am »

I must be 'simple' because I fail to see it. Would anyone be kind enough to take pity on my poor reading comprehension and re-post the latest and greatest iteration of the query?

TIA
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2015, 08:37:30 am »

I must be 'simple' because I fail to see it. Would anyone be kind enough to take pity on my poor reading comprehension and re-post the latest and greatest iteration of the query?

TIA

It's in the first post!

Here's what I am using today:

((pin ball)|(coin operated)|(upright game)|(standup game)|(coin game)|coin-op|(coin op)|(quarters game)|coinop|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade)
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 08:55:24 am »

thnaks John I just found a lost Super Offroad that I couldn't find the add for.  We'll see how it goes
KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 09:02:58 am »

I'm finding plenty of potential with this string.  Just need money and space, heh.  I'm about to start gathering bits for the mini build.  SOON.

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
SuperGunGuru

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2015, 03:42:37 pm »

Just curious does anyone use the "cPro" app? I use it and had good results until just before Thanksgiving. There was an update to it and that's where I think it went south. I tried getting help with the app developers but I got one reply sandwiched between 2 automatic replies. What they advised was more of the typical check your phone settings to make sure it's not blocking notifications. Does anyone have a good app they recommend? I have an iPhone 5s.
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 05:57:47 pm »

Tried the string for the first time today. Hot damn did it dredge up some results. Suddenly getting items only 30 minutes away from me as results! I kind of wish i tried it sooner!!!!

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
classicgamr

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2016, 11:39:41 am »

I wonder what I'm doing wrong then?

No results found for ((takes (quarters),(coin) (operated),(upright) (game),(standup) (game),(coin) (game),coin-op,(coin) (op),(quarters) (game),coinop,neogeo,neo-geo,(neo) (geo),arkade,acade,acrade,arcade,aracade) in all sale/wanted.

125 mile search range

hmmmmm  Huh?
adamtoth

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 03:22:23 pm »

Ok, I modified the string to be a bit more efficient, and leave some extra characters at the end for exclusions. I combined all the (xyz game) statements into a single one to save space.

("pin ball"|"coin op*"|(upright|standup|coin|quarters game)|"coin-op"|coinop|pinbal|pinabll|pinnball|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|pinball|aracade) -wash* -dry* -xbox

I also changed a couple from parens () to quotes to do exact phrase searches. I was getting lots of results for towing hitches with and pins because of (pin ball) but "pin ball" filters those out, and most people will be posting "pin" right next to "ball", so "pin ball" should work.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 06:16:19 pm by adamtoth » Logged
adamtoth

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2016, 04:11:36 pm »

And here is my string for arcade only, no pins:

("coin op*"|(upright|standup|coin*|quarter*|taito|bally|midway game|arcade)|coin-op*|coinop|neogeo|"neo-geo"|"neo geo"|arkade|acade|acrade|arcade|aracade) -wash* -xbox -dry* -tic*

You can change the exclusions at the end. I got a lot of results for washers, dryers, xbox, and nfl football tickets (game and standup), so those helped me filter them out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: