John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:13:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: MONITOR TROUBLESHOOTING FLOW CHARTS - LINKS  (Read 42344 times)
AgentX

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 11:25:25 am »

If you're REALLY interested in starting with the basics, then getting a FANTASTIC understanding of what's going on within these CRTs, sink your teeth into Randy Fromm's 4 part series on CRT Monitors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZ5PJB-w2s

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 11:32:00 am »

If you're REALLY interested in starting with the basics, then getting a FANTASTIC understanding of what's going on within these CRTs, sink your teeth into Randy Fromm's 4 part series on CRT Monitors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsZ5PJB-w2s

Agree! I watched every minute of those videos. I learned a lot!
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:30 pm »

Any chance that there might be a flow chart for a Wells Gardner 19V1001? I'm having fits trying to get a Space Invaders back up and going. The video on the screen slowly fades away until you can't see the picture. I've ordered a cap kit but I have a hunch that there's another problem.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2020, 04:16:40 pm »

Any chance that there might be a flow chart for a Wells Gardner 19V1001? I'm having fits trying to get a Space Invaders back up and going. The video on the screen slowly fades away until you can't see the picture. I've ordered a cap kit but I have a hunch that there's another problem.

I looked. Couldn't find one. Check B+?
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2020, 07:33:02 pm »

No not yet. I have the manual for it and schematics. I'll see if I can figure out how to check it. Thanks John.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2020, 05:53:51 pm »

Had a few minutes to tinker with it today so I looked over the schematics and found two good test points to measure B+ at. B+ was 67.5 volts. The manual say it should be 73 volts. However the game ran for over 1 1/2 hours today without a glitch. I "could" adjust the B+ but I don't want to until I can measure it while the monitor is acting up, so for the next few days I'm going to turn it on when I get up in the morning and let it run until it acts up or I have to leave for work. If I can't get it to act up then I'm going to pull the board and install the two cap kits I bought for it (main board and power supply section) and touch up ever single solder joint then reinstall it and set B+ to 73 volts and then let this thing run everyday until I'm convinced that it's actually fixed.

Thanks for the suggestion John, it at least got me to start looking into this. I'll keep you posted.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 08:32:30 pm »

So I replaced the caps on the deflection board, and the large cap can on the chassis (4 caps in the large can). The monitor ran for about 5 to 10 minutes with a scrambled rolling image. I started to do the set up to adjust all the pots on the deflection board, first up was the B+. Measured at 66 volts, it's supposed to be 73. I tweaked the voltage pot the smallest amount I could and one of the replacements for the can capacitor (it was either cap B or cap C) exploded. I took it back apart and found that the top of the cap was blown open and one of the resistors under the chassis was black in color. Yep I did it good. So here's the question. I really don't want to give up on my Space Invaders game and this has obviously gone beyond my ability. Does anyone know someone who knows how to work on a WG 19v1001 black and white monitor and who would be willing to tackle my mistake? So far the few arcade repair shops near me have said that it's too old and they no longer work on them. Seriously I need help.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 08:38:27 pm by P-feif » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: