John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:08:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Gear list from John  (Read 31806 times)
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:08 am »

Thought I'd add to the gear list;

good solder station, variable temp; Hakko 888D
desolder gun (shits all over soldapullit); Hakko 808
bench top psu, I recommend something like the GW Instek GPS-2303, dual outputs of 30V/5A or something lower end like the Mastech HY3005D (aka KORAD KA3005D, Tekpower HY1803D, etc)

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 07:52:05 pm »

ratcheting molex crimper;

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JLN93S

its the bomb!

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
Level42

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2014, 05:51:21 pm »

I never understood all the fuss about flux. I just add a little new solder to get old soldering running, a trick I got taught at electronics school LOOOOOONG time ago. I did order one of those pens and never use it, way too messy for my taste.

Another tool you sorely miss is an ESR meter John....these leave no doubts wether caps are OK or not....

Today you can get these very cheap multi-tester tools from China for insane prices. I just ordered this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121296374687&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

It tests transistors, (zener) diodes, caps (not just electrolytic ones !) pots, resistors, thyristors even coils !
It also shows the connections what is what.

For the caps it also shows ESR value. I will run some comparing tests with my current ESR tester once it arrives.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 07:25:47 pm »

I never understood all the fuss about flux. I just add a little new solder to get old soldering running, a trick I got taught at electronics school LOOOOOONG time ago. I did order one of those pens and never use it, way too messy for my taste.

Another tool you sorely miss is an ESR meter John....these leave no doubts wether caps are OK or not....

Today you can get these very cheap multi-tester tools from China for insane prices. I just ordered this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121296374687&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

It tests transistors, (zener) diodes, caps (not just electrolytic ones !) pots, resistors, thyristors even coils !
It also shows the connections what is what.

For the caps it also shows ESR value. I will run some comparing tests with my current ESR tester once it arrives.

Whoa that thing is COOL!!! Let me know how it works.

My Fluke DMM tests capacitance. I use it every now and then.
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 07:36:30 am »

Since its come up, rom burner / reader

Genius G840, has external power supply so you can burn the high voltage drinking roms.
(Dont get a rom burner that only runs off usb, they dont have enough voltatge for some roms).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GZFXWAO

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
computerfixerguy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 08:22:18 am »

I need to get in here tonight and update the first post. We've got an excellent tool suggestions going on here.
meestermole

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 12:09:46 pm »

I use this type of tool to remove solder - it's an iron, and it heats up. Makes for cleaner removal IMO
Cheap at Radio Shack, too

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 12:20:22 pm »

I really have no problem with the Soldapullt. Why you guys need that fancy stuff for cap kits?!?
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 12:23:00 pm »

I really have no problem with the Soldapullt. Why you guys need that fancy stuff for cap kits?!?

you know how different it was going from pliers to a real ratcheting crimper? 
Thats the difference when you go to the hakko 808 to desolder stuff.

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
Etienne MacGyver

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 03:29:39 am »

Don't forget his awesome new tweezers  Grin ;) Grin

http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Wholesale-Retail-Make-Up-Led-Light-Eyelash-Eyebrow-Hair-Removal-Tweezer-Free-Shipping-7-orders/1399735933.html

you know how different it was going from pliers to a real ratcheting crimper?  
Thats the difference when you go to the hakko 808 to desolder stuff.

I agree that the soldapullt works ok, but ever since i have my Pace desoldering station, my soldapullt is collecting dust  Cheesy

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 03:40:25 am by Etienne MacGyver » Logged
TimeRunner

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 09:30:16 am »

1. Video camera - Sony HDR-PJ710 - I edit the video in iMovie. The intro was done in After Effects. The music is by me.

One thing you might find useful is a circular polarizing filter for your video camera. It will reduce / remove the glare that you're seeing when in the garage (and most other places). You simply screw it into the video camera (I looked up yours -- 37mm) and then it has a secondary lens that rotates. Just twist it until you see the glare go away and thats it. Pretty simple photographer trick. Here's a good one that fits your camera and costs nothing. I'd mail you an extra one if I had it!

http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Optics-Circular-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B003USTMHG
Etienne MacGyver

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2014, 10:19:26 am »

This should be your next soldering iron John  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ben's Wearable Solder Gauntlet Part 1

Ben's Wearable Solder Gauntlet Part 2
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2014, 12:39:46 pm »

I watched that last night. Love Ben Heck!
DrSparx

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:26 am »

I use this type of tool to remove solder - it's an iron, and it heats up. Makes for cleaner removal IMO
Cheap at Radio Shack, too

^^^^^
This is the tool for recapping monitors. It really saves a lot of time because it melts and removes solder with one hand. The Soldapullt requires two hands: the soldering iron and Soldapullt. Then you need to put down your soldering iron to cock the Soldapullt for each capacitor leg. Plus both tools are the same price, $15 so you might as well get the desoldering iron.
pacmanmedic

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 03:16:45 am »

Another tool worth mentioning from Johns videos is the Molex HTR2445A ratcheting crimping tool.  Reference Pacman restore part 4 video.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: