John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:23:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lighting my coin doors.  (Read 2249 times)
DarthDigital

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:32:37 am »

Howdy all. Just joined your forum ranks and fresh off the proverbial banana in Arcade collecting/gaming.

Brace yourself-

This is a MAME related question-

I have a pair of cabs recently fitted (no mutilations could re-fit with pcb's in a jiffy) and I'd like to light the wee LEDS in same.

A few side considerations;

1. I don't feel comfortable powering them through the same power source of the computers.
2. I don't have LED WIZ
3. I don't have the I-Pac cap/num connectors to power them off the Ipac board.

What I'm asking for basically is a refresher in basic high school electronics.
I'd like to power the LED's in the coin boxes off a linked power cord that would simply plug into the power bar inside the cabs.

Any suggestions?

I've tried a 5 volt adapter and it was a brief light show then dark.

...help?

I game. Therefore I am.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 10:05:45 am »

Howdy all. Just joined your forum ranks and fresh off the proverbial banana in Arcade collecting/gaming.

Brace yourself-

This is a MAME related question-

I have a pair of cabs recently fitted (no mutilations could re-fit with pcb's in a jiffy) and I'd like to light the wee LEDS in same.

A few side considerations;

1. I don't feel comfortable powering them through the same power source of the computers.
2. I don't have LED WIZ
3. I don't have the I-Pac cap/num connectors to power them off the Ipac board.

What I'm asking for basically is a refresher in basic high school electronics.
I'd like to power the LED's in the coin boxes off a linked power cord that would simply plug into the power bar inside the cabs.

Any suggestions?

I've tried a 5 volt adapter and it was a brief light show then dark.

...help?

you need to get 5v or 12v to the coin door depending on the cab and the bulb requirements. If you have a switching power supply you can this voltage from that. Otherwise, you need to tap in somewhere else.
DarthDigital

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 02:29:55 pm »

Well here comes the part where I'm a total laymen when it comes to electronics and whatnot.

What alternate power source do you recommend?

Are you saying I could splice my LED's into a 12 or 5 volt adapter?

I tried that with my volcano cone buttons on my asteroids cab. It worked for a few seconds then slowly faded the way of the 1st Terminators eyes at the movies end. Sad

Some suggest I burned out the lights. Others think that since they were the original '79 LED's that time took its toll.

Whats the quickest (and easiest) way to light these things. I figure I'm gonna have to replace the leds in the asteroids cab anyways.

I game. Therefore I am.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: