John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:57:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wiring up illuminated trackball in Centipede  (Read 5900 times)
bhodie13

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:16:14 pm »

Hey guys!

I have a centipede cabinet that I have made some quick repairs/updates on (new marquee lights, coin lights, trackball, fire button etc).  I have an illuminated trackball which I installed.  However, I need to connect to a 12V source in order to light up the ball.  The one and two player lights are only 5V.  So I need to connect via the coin door. 

Trying to draw power from the coin door is very new to me.  I am not sure how this is done.  Any tips or suggestions?

Joshua
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:34:58 pm »

I'm not sure where it's wired was done before I got it.

But, yeah... there is either 5V or 12V at the coin door. Just look at the bulbs and the wiring to them. Tap into that.
bhodie13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 01:47:04 pm »

That's the part I am uncertain with "tapping into the coindoor power".  Do I cut the current connection wires and make new female connectors with the new trackball wires included?
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 03:09:10 pm »

yes right next to the flux capacitor... tap into that.
Im doing two lit trackballs but those are going directly to the 12v power lead comming into the machine.
Like john said 12v is usually when they put to the coin lights so id just tap into one with a new connector (something that can be undone if you decide to sell it later)
bhodie13

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:51:58 pm »

Ok, Thanks for the info Stevespeeze.

I would be intrested in learning how you you lit the trackballs directy from the 12v power lead. 
STEVESPEEZE
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 06:28:30 pm »

same way i lit the marquee , xbox and power amp for the speakers. i made a plug or used a power supply from something else.

But if you have 12v lit coin slots you should be able to just tap into the positive and negative.
or the switchable power supply.

Im still trying to install a spinner myself, i have arcade one but i need it to work with the old black xbox like a usb mouse.
bhodie13

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 11:40:33 pm »

It works!  Well, my initial understanding on what I was doing was correct.   The problem was the bulb supplied with the trackball was not bright enough.  Changed bulb...boom stick!!!

Hence, why all my coin door and power questions.  I just could not understand what I was doing wrong.

Another learning experience.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: