John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:57:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pole Position 2 Problems  (Read 2384 times)
Lo-Pan

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:35:55 am »

Hey guys I just picked up a converted PP2 for free, it is not 100% working right now but I was stoked because it’s my best find yet as a collector.  It powers on and plays however the screen is garbled, I can sort of make out the background and some graphics.  John I’ve done your bullet proofing mod, and have pulled all the chips on the cpu and cleaned them.  I have not cleaned the chips on video board yet but I was going to ask where should I look first..I’m kinda a newb at arcades but I figured if I have sound and it’s playing it would have to be something on the board messing with the graphics.  Have any of you guys seen this or have a suggestion of where I should look first?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:03:10 am »

Hopefully it's just a socket issue with one of the chips. Reseat all those chips on the video board and inspect/clean legs as needed. And, make sure you have 5V on both boards. You have two power supplies and they both need to be working.

My PPII had a garbage on the screen at boot and it turned out to be a couple of bad custom chips which was not easy to figure out for me. I had to send the board out.
Lo-Pan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 11:33:38 am »

Ok will do,  hopefully it’s nothing too serious. I’m actually wanting to covert it back to a pole position eventually so I will go ahead and clean the sockets and report back
blazerfrazer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 11:25:46 pm »

Ok will do,  hopefully it’s nothing too serious. I’m actually wanting to covert it back to a pole position eventually so I will go ahead and clean the sockets and report back
Hi, any updates on this thanks. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: