John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 02:11:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: I am making A cabaret style Crazy Kong from scratch.  (Read 10869 times)
leejsmith

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:21:47 pm »

Take a look at my build log.

https://imgur.com/a/Fm3Q1lb

I don't have much spare cash at the moment so it's on a bit of a budget, but I plan to replace parts later as and when I have the money. I am working on this each day and adding pictures when I have something to share.
allansim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 05:35:39 pm »

This is a terrific project and you should be proud of the work you've done so far.  I'd love to do a cabaret for a multi-pac.
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:32:26 pm »

Thanks, I have worked on it over the weekend and I am just waiting for a few bits to arrive before I can finish the painting and then cover the sides in wood grain vinyl.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:57:45 pm »

WOW! I LOVE IT. I WANT.
Namco51

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2018, 10:33:14 am »

Damn, nice build so far. These are the kinds of builds that inspire me to go buy some plywood and get to work building something cool.
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 03:53:43 pm »

I should have some more updated soon as a few bits have shipped.
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »

I knew you would like it, I found your old threads talking about it while searching for artwork.

WOW! I LOVE IT. I WANT.
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 12:39:45 pm »

I worked on the cab today. The speaker came in so I fitted that along with a 3d printed speaker grill. then I filled the holes, sanded and painted. I also made the control panel in the week.

https://imgur.com/a/GgRySXw

leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 10:12:56 am »

I updated the build log and this is how it currently looks.

leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 03:24:38 pm »

I put everything back into the cab and now my Crazy Kong PCB has graphics corruptions on Kong, jumpman is missing the top half and the barrels are totally missing. My eprom reader does not support the TMS2532 chips, but I found if I make an adaptor and swap 2 pins it will work as a 2732. I did a quick check by bending the pins and I could read 2 of the 4 gfx chips so this makes me think the other 2 are bad, but I will make the adaptor in the morning and read them properly to check on romident.
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 09:55:05 pm »

SWEET! Nice job Lee!
darkcat1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 07:51:05 am »

looking good
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 10:18:05 am »

Thanks for the nice comments,

I am still trying to repair the board and have not found the faults. My board also does not match the schematics I found for the Falcon Crazy Kong II boards on the video buffer section. I am supposed to have 6 x 2115 ram chips, but my board has 2 x ram chips (markings removed) and 1 x 74ls367 in stead. The outputs of the 2 ram chips are working and they go to the same pull down resistors, but these are connected to the 367 hex buffer and then the output of this goes to the 75ls174 that is on the schematics at 11p.  I have removed all of these and put sockets onto the board and then replaced the chips or swapped and can see they are working, but the output of the of the 367 and 174 is not very clean thanks to the mclk signal and wondered if this was the problem. Next I brought a DIP socket clip so I can use my 16 channel USB logic analyser and I can see data in and out on all of these chips so the signal must be ok and the problem is before the video buffer section.

I am still just taking best guesses at all of this, but watching adams tutorial vids on youtube was a big help to understand the basic principles.
leejsmith

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 11:31:30 am »

Yes At last I found the faulty chip, it was a 74ls139 used to generate the clocking singals that run the binary counters that position the sprites up and down the screen.

Now I can put it back into my cabinet and play it..

so happy.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 08:44:03 am »

congrats!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: