John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:23:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitor has no color?  (Read 2844 times)
Sonnyrayj

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2017, 12:28:29 pm »

As stated in subject, I have a Hitachi monitor that has no color. K7500 chassis. I have done a little reflowing and repaired a few traces. I have never worked on a monitor before so complete newbie here. I have looked at how to check the transistors but still am confused on the correct way to do that. After going and buying me some more glasses so I could actually see I looked over the board and components again and found the flyback has a small crack right above the focus knob. Would that tell me that the flyback is absolutely bad and would it cause a no color issue or should I be focusing more on the caps and transistors first for the color issue. When I say no color I mean it's not just missing a color or 2 it displays in black and white. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to just be throwing money at it and my problem persist. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 01:23:07 pm by Sonnyrayj » Logged
Ramair1997

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 09:46:59 pm »

No color but a picture? Check the neck board, if the fly back is cracked you will hear a hiss or see arcing usually
Sonnyrayj

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 01:59:41 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I have found a small crack above the focus knob but never seen arcing or heard hissing. I am not certain on the correct way to check the transistors with a multi meter. There were some loose solder joints but I repaired them and retried. I did have a clearer picture but still only black and white.
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 08:51:31 pm »

Any chance the red green and blue wires are tied together or somewhere in the chassis shorted together?
Sonnyrayj

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:49:15 am »

Will check. Thanks
Sonnyrayj

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:24:57 pm »

Installed new c3782 transistors (that i didn't need and now understand how to check), glued pads back down and soldered everything up tight. Messed with color pots a little and was able to see all colors. Not exactly sure how to adjust but no matter how I adjust, it just floods the screen. There is no black back ground and then the color check bars showing up it just floods screen with color. Excited I did actually see something other than black and white but unsure of where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:59 pm »

Pictures???
Sonnyrayj

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:04:17 pm »

will try to get pics. tomorrow. Thanks
Sonnyrayj

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 01:14:11 pm »

problem is now fixed thanks to Security0001 on the arcademuseum forum. It was the R811 resistor. thanks for your help though
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: