John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:17:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong (in DK Jr.) guillotined  (Read 1966 times)
thedarkener

View Profile
« on: October 08, 2017, 05:44:03 pm »

Hi all,

I'm new to troubleshooting PCBs so any guidance is appreciated. I'm almost done restoring my Jr. (original cabinet + PCB). Only thing wrong with the PCB/game itself seems to be that the / cage sprite is separated with a single horizontal line at his neck. Looks like Mario took a chainsaw to him out of frustration or something =p Nothing else about the gameplay or sprites seem to be off (though admittedly I haven't gone through all of the levels yet ;}).

Not sure exactly where to start. I don't have a logic probe but I do have a multimeter and not afraid to get my hands dirty. Anyone else had this (or a similar) issue and solved it? Thanks for any insight. A sidenote is that I'm thinking about getting a high-score save kit and remember it mentioning it replaces the game ROM itself - would that inadvertently fix the DK sprite issue?

Ramair1997

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 03:36:47 pm »

Try reseating all the socketed roms first.
thedarkener

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 10:21:56 pm »

Try reseating all the socketed roms first.

Hey, thanks for your reply =} Unfortunately that isn't the issue.

I did, however, obtain a new tool (chip extraction tool) and learn how to clean socketed chip legs from your advice though! Would appreciate any other hints or advice from anyone else reading too. Cheers!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: