John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 17, 2024, 09:02:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Galaxian Cocktail  (Read 1602 times)
HunterStephens1

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2017, 06:20:38 pm »

Ok so yesterday I went on my first game pickup for a Galaxian cocktail and heres what I came home with.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1aNk49
Talk about original unmolested. I cant see any wiring mods replaced caps or anything. The underlay on the glass has seen better days and there are a few nicks on the cab but other than that its in really good shape. The CPOs look perfect and the board is super clean. So far the only thing Ive found wrong with it is that the AC line filter is dead and wont let voltage pass through. Tell me what you guys think! How necessary is it to keep the line filter in there? Should I do the DC power mod on the PCB and use a switcher or keep the transformers? Ill be doing a cap kit on the PCB and G07 chassis as preventative maintenance so let me know some other things i should do while Im capping stuff.
allansim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:49:34 pm »

Nice pickup!
alby13

Jamma Cabinet FTW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:24 pm »

Ok so yesterday I went on my first game pickup for a Galaxian cocktail and heres what I came home with.
https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1aNk49
Talk about original unmolested. I cant see any wiring mods replaced caps or anything. The underlay on the glass has seen better days and there are a few nicks on the cab but other than that its in really good shape. The CPOs look perfect and the board is super clean. So far the only thing Ive found wrong with it is that the AC line filter is dead and wont let voltage pass through. Tell me what you guys think! How necessary is it to keep the line filter in there? Should I do the DC power mod on the PCB and use a switcher or keep the transformers? Ill be doing a cap kit on the PCB and G07 chassis as preventative maintenance so let me know some other things i should do while Im capping stuff.

My understanding is that you should simply replace the AC line filter. If you don't have money or don't care about other things being affected through the power lines, then you can go without.

Probably fixing it the way it was originally done is the better way to go. You can check for any other issues visually and even reflow some stuff according to John's advice on his videos. I hope to see an update and success!

-alby13
"Go home and be a family man!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: