John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:06:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gaplus PCB issues  (Read 2813 times)
JakeTheMuSS

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:22:34 pm »

Hey John,

Love the videos mate!

I'm just getting into the whole fixing PCB's.

I have a Cocktail Gaplus and nothing was coming from the screen. So I got recommended to clean the pcb board.

So I have take the chips out and some of the legs have fallen off, they were so frail and dirty. Was mainly the MB7052(Had GP2-1 label) chips and also one J349X(No Label).

Do i need to buy new proms and program them? How do I work out what to program

Can recommend a programmer/duplicate device?

Cheers,
Jake

lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:36:47 pm »

I know this is kinda aimed directly at John, but maybe I can help a little...

Welcome to namco custom leg rot syndrome, the J349X is a custom security chip and can be a beast to find because there are no drop in replacements. Your best bet is finding another namco board with the chip to take parts from or asking on KLOV (if you are a member there) unless you can repair the chip legs by soldering on new ones, this can be done sometimes depending on how the legs have broken.
For the other chip it happens to be a bi-polar prom this one can be replaced much easier than the other one, you just need someone to burn you a new one I have heard good things about http://www.hobbyroms.com/ and they can do that one easy.

As for a eprom burner, I personally use a GQ-4X that you can get on ebay for about 100$, but it doesn't do certain chips, I know it won't do PAL/GAL chips or BI-Polar proms so If you intend to do lots of chips like those it won't be the programmer that you need.
However, it is a good basic programmer and has done great for me on other chips though (for example: program roms, freeplay kits, bios chips), on the very rare occasion I need one of the chips my programmer doesn't support, I just order them pre programmed from people who can do them.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 01:53:38 pm by lordkahless214 » Logged
JakeTheMuSS

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 07:24:07 pm »

Awesome thanks for the reply...

Yeah so I managed to piggyback and solder the security chip, but a few of the bi-polar IC's are def un-repairable. Will check out that site. Thanks for the tip.

Ok sweet will take a look at that programmer.

Cheers for ur help.

Jake
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 03:17:59 pm »

No thanks necessary  Smiley  I just hope you can get your game playing again
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: