John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:16:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cabaret Tempest value?  (Read 1789 times)
shuyge

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2017, 12:43:15 pm »

Hi everybody!

So I'm new to the arcade collection scene and I'm trying to pick up some machines without breaking the bank or ending up on the minus side of things.

I've got a line on a Tempest Cabaret that appears to be in very good condition with only a small chip out of one of the sides by the control panel.  I've seen pictures of the game in operation so it does appear to be in working order.

I do know that they only made roughly 2000 of these but I don't really think that the cabaret is as desirable as the full-size stand-up.  I do know that this is supposed to have the same size monitor as the full-size though which should help the experience (and value).  I don't know if it has an LV2000 in it yet or not.  If not, I will put one in.  $35 to bullet proof the monitor is cheap insurance.

How much is this thing worth?  At what price would you feel comfortable buying this Tempest and feel that you could get (most of) your money back out of it.  I'm not going to try to put the screws to anybody, I'm just looking for what people feel is a fair price.

OrangePeel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 01:29:40 pm »

Use this website for pricing games, really good estimates.
http://www.arcade-classics.com/exidy_arcade_price_guide.html

For the tempest he says $650-800 for one in excellent shape.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 01:31:39 pm by OrangePeel » Logged
shuyge

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:00:03 pm »

Just for the record, 313 Arcade and I are not the same person :-).
We just happened to be looking at Tempest Cabarets at the same time.

For the record, I did end up buying the Tempest.  It is missing the front glass, the coin mechs are not working, and I didn't get any keys.
Luckily, all of the doors were already opened.

So I need to have a new front glass made, get some locks, and maybe fix the coin mechs.
I did pick up some nyogel to lube the spinner, I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

BTW, the machine was already fully working.  I just needed to clean it out and then re-adjust the pots for the monitor.

Stan
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:05:20 pm »

Good work!

I think if you got it for less than $800 you're doing ok these days.
shuyge

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 11:24:34 pm »

John,

I got lucky and got a real
I just got into the hobby and Tempest is only my second machine.

My first machine is a Dig Dug cocktail that I bought broken.  No gameplay, no monitor sync.
I used web resources to figure out what I needed to do.
I found a burnt resistor on the ARII, and a terrible attempt to fix two ground edge traces on the board ( solder for a trace?!?!).
So I replaced big blue, rebuilt the ARII, fixed the two edge traces on the board, installed a new edge connector, and installed a monitor cap kit.
I hit the power switch and it worked.  I just needed to adjust the focus and brightness on the monitor.
Beginners luck  Cheesy Cheesy

Broken Dig Dug $100
Repair parts $75

There is a chunk missing out of the cabinet on the right side of the P1 control panel.  It's broken starting at the T-molding slot for a few inches. 
Not sure how to fill that in..
Also has heavy screen burn.  Oh well.  It was fun to fix and I'm pretty sure I could get my money back out of it.
I also get to play as much Dig Dug as I want  Cheesy

Unfortunately, I don't expect my current streak to continue and the wife seems to think that part of the basement belongs to her.
Silly girl.  Grin

BTW, I have watched a bunch of your videos and even watched most of the Tempest repair.  It was pretty painful watching you destroy that HV board  ;)
However, that is also part of what I like about your videos.  The fact that they aren't over-produced means that we get to follow along as you figure out what's going on.
That has real value to me.  I feel like I learn more that way.

Stan

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: