John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:43:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transporting Arcade units, which kind of hand truck/dolly is best?  (Read 2533 times)
LockeCole

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2016, 07:41:52 am »

I'm trying to decide which kind of hand truck would be best for moving arcade units. Looking at the different units I first thought the obvious would be an appliance hand truck (especially with the longer handles to grab onto), however it seems a bit narrow at the base part that would slide under the unit. There are other 'regular' hand trucks that can also hold 800/1000 lbs. They do seem to have a deeper base for the item to sit on and I wonder, would that would be better? I'm also not sure which type of tires would be better, the hard tires of the appliance hand truck or the larger tires of the inflated tires on the 'regular' hand truck. Obviously I realize in either case straps are a must.

Images for reference...
Appliance Hand Truck

Just a Hand Truck

What are everyone's suggestions/preferences? I noticed in John's garage he had both, so that didn't help me decide at all...
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:13:44 am »

If you are dealing with stairs then the appliance dolly all day long. I use that one the most. And, you strap the game to it. It's the best cart to move games and the safest.

The one with pneumatic tires is good for going across lawns but not good for going down stairs and it doesn't have a strap.

Go appliance dolly.
blake

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:49:43 pm »

i agree.  i own one identical to the grey one in your pic and am constantly putting straps around a game and figuring out how to hook it (PITA).  if your going to move games alone a lot get the appliance cart.  only i wish the tongue that slides under the games was bigger on the appliance ones.
thanks
blake
LockeCole

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 09:55:57 am »

Thanks John and Blake, I appreciate the suggestions.
MagicMarc-er

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:30:49 am »

Get them both.  You can get a really cheap one with inflatable tires at Harbor Freight for almost nothing.  I use it the most when maneuvering around in the garage.  But, don't ever try to use it on the stairs.  I did that once and it was a disaster.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: