John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:24:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Bringing this Asteroids Deluxe Back From the Grave. Need Help!  (Read 4200 times)
b.moore2011

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2016, 11:49:25 am »

Okay,
I picked up this "working" asteroids deluxe machine last month. Short background.. Guy was selling it for $500, said it works great. He dropped the price to $300, and I took a 2 hour drive to go take a look. Well, he plugged it in, and nothing. Completely dead. I asked him to pull the back panel, and low and behold, ALL of the fuses were missing. I asked him, when was the last time he played it, he said "oh this was working a couple weeks ago when I posted the ad". So I asked if why he pulled the fuses and he said he never touched it, and it hasn't moved. Anyway, I called his bluff and told him I was out. We re-negotiated, and I got It. Well, it has been a major pain in my ass to say the least. Lets move on..

I came home and put new fuses in it, and it powered on. Board lit up, screen was somewhat visible, reversed, sound was very low. Game played though. Dirty as hell, and reeeeeeked of cigarettes and weed. Monitor had lots of bright lines and dot in the middle of the screen, plus crazy blooming. I purchased a kit to rebuild the power supply, AR board, re-capped the p299 deflection board. Re-capped the HV board, replaced the HV diode, new bulbs and starters, replaced the volume pot, plus a cleaning or two. The only thing I haven't touched is the PCB board as it seems to work fine so far.
 Boy did I search the forums and watched lots of videos to accomplish this much. I bought my first pinball this year and finished restoring that, but this is my first Arcade machine. I'm excited, but need some additional help.

WHAT I NEED HELP WITH:
** The picture still is somewhat "jumpy". Not sure If I call it blooming, but it seems to only do it when I'm playing a game. Doesn't look like it jumps in test screen. I don't know what to adjust or what to do here.
** The sound. Its kind of crackling. Seems like the sounds are present, but very low. I can't really hear the background music.. and when the ship gets blown up it doesn't sound all that good either.
Please lend me some advice!
Thanks in advance.
http://imgur.com/a/McIpw
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:32:18 pm by b.moore2011 » Logged
blake

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 04:00:26 pm »

great pick up first of all!  i recently acquired an asteroids.  for the jumping of picture i would look at the pots on the monitor chassis.  if its been sitting it could be worth turning them back and forth a few times and then dial in as it helps with cleaning the wipers off and making better connection.  for the sound check your speaker connection for cold solder joints then and im not sure this section exists, look at the sound amp on the board?  maybe someone else can chime in on that board particularly.
thanks
blake
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 04:44:50 pm »

Thanks for the advice. There's one pot on the ar board, I have no idea what it does. But I did move it back a forth a couple times and left it in the original position.
There is a brightness and contrast pot on board 299. Plus one pot unidentified. I have no idea what that is. There is a hv pot and a focus pot on the hv board. I've turned the focus pot but no improvement. I read not to touch the hv pot unless I have "". Lol.
I tried recording a video..
https://youtu.be/nZCiPHzoCIA
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 07:00:33 pm by b.moore2011 » Logged
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 09:03:27 pm »

What voltages are you at?
PassivePac-Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:15 pm »

Saying it was a steal was an understatement, it looks beautiful

The collection: Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga (plays blind), Frogger Cocktail, Asteroids
WTB: Eggs parts, any uber classics, Pooyan, Jump Bug
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:09:22 am »

What voltages are you at?
Still new to this.. Where would you like me to check voltages? I'd be happy to start checking them out if you point me in the right direction.
NoQuarter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 11:58:22 am »

Hey I had a similar issue with my pole position, I was able to narrow it down to one of my AR II boards since one speaker worked well and the other didn't. I'm having a hard time finding the article but basically it told me the tda2002a on the AR board was bad and replacing it fixed it right up.
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 12:42:36 pm »

I ordered 2, and they're on the way. Lets see if that clears it up
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:22:02 pm »

Okay. I replaced the two 8w amps and presto! It's back to life. There is a hum that attenuates with the volume pot but it sounds great anyway.
I also ordered a cap kit for the pcb board and installed that. It still didn't help the "jumping" problem for the monitor. Still need some advice on that.
Hooligan93

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 12:02:09 am »

Did the transformer and wires get covered in black spray paint or is that soot or heat damage?
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 08:29:48 am »

I feel like its paint.. its definitely dirty, but I'm pretty sure its paint..
http://imgur.com/a/McIpw
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:55:56 am by b.moore2011 » Logged
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »

I tried adjusting the two pots on the deflection board if the monitor. I noticed when I touched the vertical pot, it jumped around a ton. So I'm thinking of replacing the two pots to see if that clears it up. Fingers crossed!
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53:12 am »

This may be a dumb question, but I really need help to move on.
Can I purchase any pot that's 1.5k Ohm if the manual is calling out "1.5k ohm linearity control"?? Or is there something specific I need to buy?
b.moore2011

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 04:15:34 pm »

Okay. I was able to find those pots online, and I just replaced the pots on the deflection board. It's all fixed now! No more jumping around, it stays still and the picture is perfect now. Just ordered new t-molding, and marquee bracket so now we're on to cosmetic upgrades.
Hooligan93

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2016, 02:29:16 am »

Where did you order the pots from? I need to order some as well. 5k and 10k I think for my Sega MC-2000-s.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: