John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:43:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arcade auctions question...  (Read 2906 times)
LockeCole

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2016, 12:50:32 am »

So my introduction to John's Arcade was via youtube suggesting to me his 5-7-16 arcade auction video. I had no idea this sort of thing existed and I fell down a rabbit hole looking at videos of arcade auctions. In John's comments someone mentioned they'd love an arcade machine and he suggested keeping an eye on craigs list. So I just randomly decided to check and among the few arcade machines was an ad for an arcade auction in a few weeks near me. What luck! My wife (who scheduled off work for it) and I have plan to go, renting a truck in case we see something (if we don't, oh well). We're not looking for anything super specific gamewise though I'm probably hoping to grab a SF2 cabinet of some sort so I have a jamma system that I can (somewhat) easily swap boards in and out of.

What I'd like to know is, what would you folks suggest we keep an eye out for; tips, tricks, ways to tell possibly easy fixes, that sort of thing. I've already learned from watching someone else's video that you should bring an extension cord, just in case, to plug machines in. I'm super novice with any and all arcade stuff and wish to learn so ANY suggestions are welcome.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:03:56 am by LockeCole » Logged
MagicMarc-er

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 06:46:13 am »

I'm no pro but, here you go:

Bid on the one that won't turn on.  At least a of the people there (maybe more) do not want to work on anything.
If there are two of you going, don't rent a truck until you get there.  Then you can rent one-way and not have to make an extra trip.
Look for painted converted cabinets that used to be something better.  Then get it home and turn it back into the original game.
Spare (dead) monitors go cheap.  Pick up one and get it working so you have a spare when you need it.
If the word "Pac" is on the game, just walk away.  It will go for more than it is worth.
DeLuSioNaL29

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 05:28:18 pm »

Also, study cabinet profiles.  You can tell what the game originally was by the shape of the cabinet.  Sometimes you can find some gems, sell the innards later and restore it to its former glory.

https://www.google.com/search?q=arcade+cabinet+profiles&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&tbm=isch&imgil=5DsJA7IFM0RteM%253A%253BxVuSAeyNaCzS-M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252Fjessewmwallace%25252Fclassic-arcade-cabinet-designs%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=5DsJA7IFM0RteM%253A%252CxVuSAeyNaCzS-M%252C_&usg=__TtnMa2XW62Z50Ur4r1KNS5EZPOY%3D&biw=1680&bih=909&ved=0ahUKEwixr6mY9r_QAhUI6oMKHeGYBOUQyjcIKg&ei=sRc2WPGSJ4jUjwThsZKoDg#imgrc=5DsJA7IFM0RteM%3A

DeL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: