John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:16:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of the Hobby  (Read 1631 times)
PassivePac-Man

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:26:58 pm »

When will this hobby die out? Does it die out with you guys, or do you think it will be passed on to your kids and continue on? I know this was briefly discussed on AO.

The collection: Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga (plays blind), Frogger Cocktail, Asteroids
WTB: Eggs parts, any uber classics, Pooyan, Jump Bug
blake

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:53:31 am »

hopefully never.  i know my son (5) has never played a console in his life, but put him in a classic arcade and he feels right at home.  show him a pinball machine and he can probably beat most folks that have little or no experience playing.  im sure most people 10-20 years ago thought it was done with and forgotten.
thanks
blake
MagicMarc-er

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 06:58:57 am »

This is always an interesting topic.  You've probably already noticed the trend toward 90's games.  Children of the 90's will keep that going for the next 20 years.  I'm a kid of the 80's (in my late 40's) so, for people my age, the 80's stuff will be supported for at least the next 10 years.  But you also see younger generations in the new barcades. 

In general though, I can't see video arcade games or pinball machines falling off in my lifetime.  Mainly because, when you get right down to it, these things are works of art; works of art that you can play.  There will be increases and decreases in popularity but they won't ever go away completely. 

jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:32:12 pm »

I'm a kid of the 80's but like many here have a real appreciation for the B/w games of the 70's and even some of the EM arcade games. I think we are a smart enough as a collective to overcome any technical hurdle for stuff that is getting hard to replace... It may not be as big in 20-30 years .. Just like EM pins are not as huge.. But you can still find them and the guys that collect them..
DeLuSioNaL29

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 05:25:38 pm »

I really think the thing we need to worry about it what's going to happen to all the forums?  If those die the hobby will be dead.  I know I rely on KLOV, BYOAC and others.

In the case of BYOAC, it's scary to think that the forum is in one guy's hands.  What if he passes.  <shudder>

So as long as the forums exist, so will the hobby.  :-)  IMHO.

DeL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: