John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:05:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DK Cabinet Restore  (Read 1944 times)
adamtoth

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:37:36 am »

I just got an empty blue Japanese DK cabinet (plywood), and was contemplating what to do with it. I am leaning towards a full DK restore. The cabinet is in great shape, a few scuffs here and there, no artwork at all. The model number on the tag is PCKG1-UP-US, and a ~3000 serial number. I'm assuming this was a PlayChoice conversion at some point? There is no original DK tag on it (missing the back door as well).

It is completely stripped, so I'll need wiring, monitor, coin door, CP, artwork, controls, power supply, the whole entire works. It has a mount for the 4 board DK set, which is what was original to the Japanese cabs if I understand correctly.

Has anyone done this kind of full restore before? Is there any kind of full list of parts that I'd need? Any rough estimates on cost for full restoration? I'm mentally totaling things up and come to around $800 or so when all said and done. Does that sound right?

If you had a blank slate DK blue cab, what would you do with it?

Thanks!

-Adam
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 12:24:03 pm »

If I had an empty DK cabinet I'd make it a DK again.

Shouldn't be too hard.

All plywood DKs are Japanese. It probably had a 2 board stack in it.

I'd look on ebay for an original CP, Marquee, and bezel. Same with PCB and harness.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 08:31:19 am »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Working-Nintendo-Arcade-Power-Supply-Wiring-Harness-Power-Cord-etc-/162255287242?hash=item25c72b33ca:g:DZUAAOSwUEVYERy2
adamtoth

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 11:43:05 pm »

Thanks John! I bought this. And so it begins. Someone locally has a 20ez monitor and an original bezel.

I think I am going to use a repro control panel and overlay, rather than try to wait for an original one to come up (I need new repro side art anyway). Any thoughts on the best place to get a DK CPO?
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 06:57:49 pm »

Looks like you already found a monitor. I'll post this anyhow...  I found this on Craigslist.

http://toledo.craigslist.org/ele/5836989591.html
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: