John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:30:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong PCB Issues  (Read 2444 times)
Zgamer85

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2013, 12:23:31 am »

Hello all...I have a 2 board cab with a Sanyo monitor. I have been having an issue lately that has been progressively getting worse. Most of the time when the cab is on the screen is all staticky and the sprites are inverted and in the wrong places. I am going to provide a YouTube link of my cab that I recorded showing what it is doing. At one point it used to correct itself after sitting for a while.  Now it is permanently like that and has became worse.  The picture is doubled, one on top of the other, and still very staticky.  I tested the board with another monitor and another power supply.  Still the same issues.   Any assistance would be much appreciated!

LINK TO MY VIDEO OF MY ISSUE (The camera was just tilted sideways the screen is actually upright)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB6nfUZeXnM

UPDATE: I uploaded a second video showing it a little better. Also notice how there is no sound when is jumping at the beginning of the first level. I don't know if that is a related issue or something else all together?

http://youtu.be/v9DBHC8A1OE
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:43:12 am by Zgamer85 » Logged
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 02:11:45 pm »

http://www.mikesarcade.com/arcade/repairs/dkong.html

The very last on on this page looks like its your issue. I'm not an arcade technician though so take what I say with a grain of salt but this might be the answer or might not.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Zgamer85

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 11:47:00 pm »

Thanks for the reply Shadaw.  I have wiggled that chip around a bit and did some voltage test on it which came back to 5v.  So far no go.  I don't have a spare to replace it with but if I can get my hands on one I will go ahead and replace to see what happens.  However as of now the problem persist.  Thanks for the info about the website though!  Still searching for a fix in the meantime.
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:05:47 am »

All good, trying to learn by helping others. I just googled common problems with donkey kong boards. I truthfully think finding that was pure luck on my part but if it helps.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
Zgamer85

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 03:33:10 pm »

Came across this video that may explain my problem but I am not skilled enough to fix it without some guidance.  This guy says at 5:08 in his video that his picture was doubled like mine is now and knew that that was because of an "address counter" issue.  Now I'm not sure exactly what that means and I was wondering if anyone on here knows something about that that can kinda help me get my head wrapped around the issue so I can better understand what I would be fixing.  Also does anyone on here know where I can buy replacement chips so that if I were to need to replace the chips he is talking about on his video I can do that?

Link to video I am speaking of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ArBU8tV8cY
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:35:14 pm by Zgamer85 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: