John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:31:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Explorer  (Read 3475 times)
Cyborg2000

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:14:41 pm »

A friend has a star explorer and are just looking to get rid of it.  Its been sitting unplayed for years.  I don't know if it is working.

A web search indicates this isn't the most desirable of pinballs. Smiley

I am considering picking it up and getting it working for my 7 year old daughter.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this pinball?

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 04:30:56 pm »

A friend has a star explorer and are just looking to get rid of it.  Its been sitting unplayed for years.  I don't know if it is working.

A web search indicates this isn't the most desirable of pinballs. Smiley

I am considering picking it up and getting it working for my 7 year old daughter.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this pinball?

I have never heard of this pin! WHat is it!?
Cyborg2000

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:23:15 pm »

It is a Pinball developed in the late 70's for home use.  It is small, simple and both flippers are connected.  Definitely not what a true pinball player would be looking for.

But...its kind of cool, retro wood grain, graphics are interesting, and my 7 year old daughter loves pinball but always has a hard time with the flippers anyway. 

So, I am arranging a pickup later this week.  Maybe I can post some picts (once I figure out how to do that with this new Macbook Air - my first mac and clicking the image insert button doesn't seem to work on safari...)

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2345
arcade renaissance

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:03:38 am »

seems very cool to me... Is it undersized?
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 09:44:34 am »

I saw one of those on Craig's List not that long ago. Just grab it, could be a fun little project. Why not? Smiley
Cyborg2000

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 07:19:46 am »

Yes. I think it's about half size.  I am picking up this week.  I will post more info this weekend. 
arcade renaissance

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 03:11:58 pm »

Yes. I think it's about half size.  I am picking up this week.  I will post more info this weekend.  
Undersized stuff is very cool for kid oriented arcades and arcade collections. Are there a series of undersized pinball games from this manufacturer or just this one?

EDIT ~ arcade museum shows only one pinball from the maker of star explorer. Id love to get more info on undersized pinballs if anyone knows of any more

http://www.arcade-museum.com/manuf_detail.php?manuf_id=2318&orig_game_id=14937
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:17:35 pm by arcade renaissance » Logged
Cyborg2000

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:18:47 pm »

Yes. I think it's about half size.  I am picking up this week.  I will post more info this weekend.  
Undersized stuff is very cool for kid oriented arcades and arcade collections. Are there a series of undersized pinball games from this manufacturer or just this one?

EDIT ~ arcade museum shows only one pinball from the maker of star explorer. Id love to get more info on undersized pinballs if anyone knows of any more

The link below has info on Star Explorer. It also has links to other pinballs this same company made.  The Demolition Derby art looks very cool/retro.  All their pinballs are the exact same, just different themes/art.

Cyborg2000

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 09:37:21 pm »

The Star Explorer is here in Woodbury, and is up and running.  I installed new rubber and lights.  It works great.  It is just about half size of a real pinball.

It is NOT a pinball for aficionados of pinball.  It is perfect for 7 year old kids (and my 13 year old and his friends have played it a ton also - although they are too cool to admit its fun)

My neighbor who is a pinball guy played it and said it sucked. 

I would recommend picking one of these up for kids if you see one and the price is right.  It's simplicity is perfect for young players. And the retro art is cool too.

arcade renaissance

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:17:34 pm »

The link below has info on Star Explorer. It also has links to other pinballs this same company made.  The Demolition Derby art looks very cool/retro.  All their pinballs are the exact same, just different themes/art.

Thanks for the info! Very cool, these are all undersized? Im going to lobby to get one or two of these for our arcade. We also have a couple leprechaun cabinets I hope to get fully up and running. Will be cool to increase our selection of activities for small kids.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: