John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:17:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sega Head-On II in Slimline Cabinet - mine  (Read 1992 times)
pookdolie

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:56:00 pm »

Hi folks. I figured, since this is a rare machine, I'd post pictures so that it's documented a bit more than it currently is.

I've been looking for a game in this cabinet type for a long time. This one was owned by a guy's grandfather; he inherited it, and I then acquired it. He said his granddad had pretty much owned the machine since new.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 11:45:23 am by pookdolie » Logged
pookdolie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 09:48:54 am »

Sorry - n00b fail on my part. How I can post pictures?
OrangePeel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 10:55:43 am »

I upload mine to Imgur, choose the down-scaling option, and use the BBcode link in the picture description.
pookdolie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 11:50:38 am »

I upload mine to Imgur, choose the down-scaling option, and use the BBcode link in the picture description.

That did it - thank you!

From the looks of it, this has to be one of the most original examples out there. It doesn't look like anything's ever been replaced on it.

It took a lot of vacuuming. See those holes leading into the base, at the bottom? They're the only access points I could find to get inside the base. Cleaning that out was a challenge, and at least one little spider's grave remained undisturbed when all was said and done. But it's a lot cleaner.

That counter is wired to the credit switch, and still working. So I believe the number of plays to be accurate.

pookdolie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 11:57:43 am »

All instructions are in Japanese. Nothing silkscreened on the glass, and the glass is original.

The monitor I'm sure could use a rebuild, but it's not making any funny sounds or doing anything strange at this point. The image is just a little off-center, and off-color. I'll probably leave it like it is until I decide to have everything done on the machine, top to bottom.

No hack jobs here - controls are entirely original and, for Player 1, anyhow, seem to work great.

Owner had been plugging and unplugging it for years without knowledge of the power switch by the base. Switch still works.

Mikey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 05:55:50 am »

Y'know, I love seeing these rare pieces still in action.  Especially an old Sega one - I'm an old-school Sega fan.  Something about the use of color in their games always caught my eye and made them stand out to me.  But posts like this show that the true depth of the hobby is going strong.  Thanks for posting this!
pookdolie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:22:21 am »

Y'know, I love seeing these rare pieces still in action.  Especially an old Sega one - I'm an old-school Sega fan.  Something about the use of color in their games always caught my eye and made them stand out to me.  But posts like this show that the true depth of the hobby is going strong.  Thanks for posting this!

No problem! And I agree - it's amazing some of these machines are still running, and it's one of my favorite parts of the hobby to find one that's all original and actually turns on in 2016. In this case, it's a machine that's probably one of...well, anyone's guess as to how rare this one is.

As I was wheeling it in, a young guy looked it over and said, "You could make that play all sorts of games." So, 412-in-1 will be going in shortly. (Kidding; don't kill me.)  Grin

I've got a flexible vacuum tool coming in the mail that I'm going to use to try to clean out the rest of the base. I'll post results later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: