John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:21:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Update: PC OS Re-install  (Read 1183 times)
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2016, 03:47:54 pm »

Geez, has it really been almost a year since I asked for help in the Thread 'Question about PC OS Re-install'?

OK.  So here's the update:

1.  I copied my 'must-not-lose' files onto a USB Flash Drive and then unplugged it from my computer.
2.  I exported my FireFox bookmarks to my Hard Drive and then e-mailed that HTML file to myself. (By the way, it worked perfectly!)   Grin
3.  I did a Full Install of Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit) + Service Pack 1 including formatting the Hard Drive to ensure that all of the crap that's bogging down my computer is wiped completely before doing a Clean Install.
4.  I installed all of the drivers off of my Motherboard Utility DVD.
5.  I downloaded and installed my Norton's and made sure that I had the latest files updated.

Then the trouble began . . . (grumble)   Angry

The first thing that I did after #5 was to do the Windows Update.  I let it run for over 18 straight hours  and nothing happened.  The screen said that it was 'Checking for Updates'.

So I figured 'What the heck?' and tried to Upgrade for free to Windows 10.  It got to 'Installing Windows 10 . . . 99% Complete', and stayed like that for over 6 hours.  I let it run for a few more hours, but no luck.

So here are the problems:

A.  My Motherboard doesn't recognize my DELL Monitor.  I have the DELL driver Disk and I installed the driver, but the Device Manager still reads 'Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor', whatever that means . . .
B.  I used the 'Update Driver' in the Device Manager, and nothing happens.
C.  I can't even play Solitaire right now because it says 'Hardware Acceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance.  Make sure you have the latest video card driver installed and that hardware acceleration is turned on.'  I do not have the video card installation disk.
D.  I downloaded and installed ARC and Champions Online.  When I try to play the game, an error message pops up reading 'Couldn't create D3D Device', and the game crashes.

If any of you kind people have any ideas on how to remedy any, some or all of these problems, please let me know.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 12:05:24 am by Vidiot » Logged

-----

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons . . . for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

-----

Yes, I changed my handle.  I was never really happy with Vidiot.

-----
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: