John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:27:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sega Turbo Cockpit  (Read 3797 times)
mrdude

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2016, 12:38:56 am »

I need to post more in the forums...or Namco51 will get mad at me!  Shocked  Anyway, I just picked this Sega Turbo cockpit up. I found out about this game about a year ago. At first I was like, "Meh..." so I passed on it. Then this past Nov. I really got into Pole Position...I mean really. Breaking 60k points like it "ain't no thang."  I'm hooked on these twitch racers. (Is that a genre? It is now)  Luckily, I knew this wasn't going anywhere so I reached out to the guy and said I'd take it...last Fall. Well, it's the end of July and I finally picked it up. It's a little dirty from sitting in a barn, but that's the way I like 'em.

The game had been sitting for so long I wasn't sure if it would boot. The first time I turned it on I just got garbage on the screen. Sad So I did what anyone else would do. I turned it off and turned it back on again and we had life! Hooray!  I played a round and promptly found out that the steering wasn't working.  At this point, that's no big ...the board works. Hopefully it's an easy fix. So I was out there in the garage cleaning it up just this evening. Finally, I was like, "You know mrdude...you can fix this. Let's do it right now."  So I got my trusty Rat Shack multi meter and started probing like I knew what I was doing. Beeeeep. We had continuity between the steering board and the PCB. Voltage check...nada. I should be getting 5v at the steering board. Checked it at the molex connector...low 4v. So I double checked the power supply and that was a little low so I dialed it in. Still nothing. Well...let's do what any other Joe Shmoe would do, disconnect and reconnect all the things. So I did. Did all of the connectors at the PCB for good measure. Nothing changed. What the flip? So I tested voltages again and wiggled wires. Wait a sec...one of the LEDs briefly had a dim blink....We're on to something! So I reconnected the connector at the board and we were off! I had a good connection! Fast forward to about 5 minutes ago and I've just played several rounds and now I'm posting here.

The next steps are to continue cleaning it and get the volume adjusted right. Maybe spray some deoxit on those volume pots. Then I need to adjust the steering wheel gears so that the optical wheel doesn't have play in it and isn't hitting the sensors.

The game has over 177,000 on the coin counter. You figure that's over $44,000...I guess this game made some money while it was on the floor.

Album:
http://imgur.com/a/Vb87T

Pickup video: https://youtu.be/6xRIgYy2-N0

Inside the game: https://youtu.be/bOxzuHqgxTU
Binkman85

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 02:25:54 pm »

Saw your vid on it.  Nice looking.  I remember playing a sit down back in the day.   Congrats - look forward to hearing about your progress.
offset

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 05:13:22 pm »

Love this twitch racer.  I had to find the pot that controlled the crash volume so it wasnt so "startling" as you crash a lot in this game.
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 09:47:51 pm »

Got the light bulb sockets for it. You can get them at the automotive supply store. They were used in dashboard instrument lighting. If you go to Autozone/Advanced Auto/Pep Boys/etc or any other big box place, be prepared to drop about $3.50 per socket!  I found them at an independent place for about $1.50-$1.60 WITH bulbs. Plus...those big box places only ever have 2 in stock...  The cockpit requires 9 bulb sockets if you're going to replace them all. And you might as well replace each one if it's the original because as soon as you take the bulb out of the socket it will crumble because it is so brittle with age.

I've been playing with the volume and quite get it right. It's either as loud as an F1 car or you can't hear the subwoofer in the back. I'm suspecting something with the pots possibly?

offset, what pot controlled the crash volume? Because that scares the crap out of me. That and it's currently my 2.5 year old son's favorite game....and could quickly become hated in about 0.25 seconds after the first crash.

Next up is to clean up the shifter and possibly the coin box. I just have to figure out how to get it out.
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 04:07:24 pm »

Nice pickup vid - looking forward to seeing these ones all fixed up.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Kopey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2017, 11:11:19 pm »

Congrats on the new pickup!  Great video and pics too.  I just recently picked up a Monaco GP cockpit and they look so similar.

Robert
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: