John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:58:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asteroids - Lines light with dots, Sometimes half a screen  (Read 2024 times)
Starthinker

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2016, 04:05:22 pm »

From googling around I think this is a problem that seems to be common. Lines are light with very light connecting lines and dots in the middle of the asteroids and ships.  Sometimes screen squishes to just half a screen but a bump on the side of the cabinet sometimes brings it back.  It had some issues before but I replaced the big blue capacitor and the sound board, which I guess also regulates a few other things. 

I keep reading "oh, just replace this pot" or "get a kit to refresh the board" but all that is beyond me. I can't solder to save my life. Not sure what board is out, but is there anyone I can send boards to for repairs?  Or maybe a swap (+$)?  Or buy the right one outright?  I have tried adjusting the brightness and x-y axis but it doesn't effect this issue.  Sometimes it will snap out of it for a few moments then back to dim lines.

Down towards the bottom of this page is the same problem.  http://www.stevesarcade.com/category/arcade-games/page/3/ He mentions a z-amp and replacing transistors, as I said, all beyond me.  I think the half screen issue is a separate issue but can't both be fixed at the same time?

Anyway, would just like to get her working again so if anyone can recommend a trusted repair person it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Starthinker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:34:12 pm »

Trying again.
Chris

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 11:03:07 am »

Not sure if this will help, but I had the problem you described where you would see the trace lines for the objects on the screen. I was able to turn the focus and or brightness knob on the high voltage unit to make them go away. Regarding the screen size itself, it sounds like you may also have tried adjusting the pots on the PCB (assuming theY're the same on asteroids as they are on asteroids deluxe). I sent my pcb in for repair and needed to make horizontal and vertical adjustments when it was sent back to me.

You mentioned the transistors. It's not as intimidating or hard as you may think to test the chassis mounted transistors. I had no idea about how to find/test them until I watched John's video about fixing a dead Tempest. It's really pretty simple to do (but does take some time/effort). I suggest you watch that video as it helped me fix my Space Duel.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: