John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:26:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding ATX PS to pacman  (Read 2521 times)
qrulz

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2015, 06:59:08 pm »

I want to add a ATX power supply to my pacman cabaret and am not totally sure we're to tap in to get the AC.  Can I snip the plug off of the ps cord and solder the wires to the input of the filter?  Is the brown wire going into the filter the hot, blue the neutral and the green-yellow ground?  Any help would be great!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:40 am »

First question would be why?

Pacman's power supply is designed to be AC. If you absolutely needed to add a power supply you would be better served using a regular arcade switching supply and looking up what is requred to feed pacman DC voltage.

If you HAVE to add an atx power supply you could splice into the AC lines that go up to the marquee along the right side of the cab.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
qrulz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 12:19:57 pm »

I am converting my pacman to a 60-1 but am trying to do as little damage as possible so that I can change it back to dedicated in a few minutes when I get more games. The jamma to pacman adapter that I am going to use has a connector for an act ps built in.

I have a cabaret and the marquee light seems to run on 12v after the transformer.  Any other ideas of where to tap in for AC? Is the brown wire hot?  Thanks.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:38:21 pm »

I am converting my pacman to a 60-1 but am trying to do as little damage as possible so that I can change it back to dedicated in a few minutes when I get more games. The jamma to pacman adapter that I am going to use has a connector for an act ps built in.

I have a cabaret and the marquee light seems to run on 12v after the transformer.  Any other ideas of where to tap in for AC? Is the brown wire hot?  Thanks.

You could grab the isolated voltage going to the monitor. Most switching power supply kits suggest doing that.
akaclarkkent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 02:22:32 pm »

I just added an ATX to my Pacman for the same reasons. Prior to this I was using a normal switcher but needed it for my jamma cabinet. I noticed that if I tap into the monitor power supply I get no disturbance (not sure of the correct word) but when I tap into say the marquee light or at the AC line in right after on/off switch I get a very light snow look on monitor. This may be a ground issue, Pac Jamma adapter issue, or not "clean" AC as it hasn't went through line filter yet, although Marquee light has so.... anyway. My vote would be tap into monitor power (which had already been hacked once on my line)  but I haven't again myself because I hadn't figured out how to account for ground plug that ATX power supplies have but other switcher didn't. Just my two cents. Good luck.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 02:25:12 pm »

The only thing to remember when tapping into the iso is you are limiting yourself to 200 or so watts. As long as you aren't running a jamma switcher you are fine, just keep it in mind.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: