John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:25:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Commando not powering up  (Read 1601 times)
Dwight

View Profile
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:56:59 am »

Hi,

Hoping I can get some help with my new Commando Arcade, it keeps blowing the 3A slow blow fuse beside the power supply.   Not sure how to check the wired ISO transformer.  Looks like nothing is actually powering up, the only action I have is when I flip the switch and the Fuse blows everytime ;-)  Hoping that the PCB isn't dead.

It's a Sin Lee 19" EM-201 looks like it's a good shape no burn in at all ;-) should I swap the switching power supply or could it be the ISO....the harness is a hack job from the Konaimi to Classic Capcom.   It was a Roc n' Rope cabinet that was converted to Commado ;-)

Any help would be great thanks a lot

ty
Dwight
Dwight

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:07:53 am »

Hey,

Well I did take the Shin-lee EM-201 monitor out of the mix and the Commando game started without blowing a fuse.  Something funky must be with that monitor ;-( Swapped out the monitor with another Wells Gardiner I had lying around, only image i can see is a grey screen with some crackle from the speaker.   I hope this board isn't a dead board.

Should I pop off the roms and eraser the edge connector,  I'm soooo hoping this is just like an old Atari or Nintendo Cartridge you guy's remember sometimes they would just get really dirty ;-) I'm not seeing any burn marks anywhere or bad solder points on the board.   Doesn't look like this PCB has been worked on.

I'm going to check the voltage on the PCB Once I built a Jamma to Capcom harness and use my testing rig. 

ty
Dwight
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:47:33 am »

Hey,

Well I did take the Shin-lee EM-201 monitor out of the mix and the Commando game started without blowing a fuse.  Something funky must be with that monitor ;-( Swapped out the monitor with another Wells Gardiner I had lying around, only image i can see is a grey screen with some crackle from the speaker.   I hope this board isn't a dead board.

Should I pop off the roms and eraser the edge connector,  I'm soooo hoping this is just like an old Atari or Nintendo Cartridge you guy's remember sometimes they would just get really dirty ;-) I'm not seeing any burn marks anywhere or bad solder points on the board.   Doesn't look like this PCB has been worked on.

I'm going to check the voltage on the PCB Once I built a Jamma to Capcom harness and use my testing rig. 

ty
Dwight

Well, since you removed the monitor from the equation and it's not blowing fuses I'd say you isolated the problem.

Is the second monitor you put in the game good? Does the game play blind? If you coin up, can you hear the game playing? How do you know the monitor is good.

I would check my +5 voltage at the game PCB and reseat connectors then chips first. do the simple stuff first!
Dwight

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 07:47:44 am »

Sounds good ;-) the monitor is not great but you do have a point the replacement one could be faulty too. 

I'll check the +5 voltage at the game PCB and reseat the connectors, I just erasered the edge connector I didn't even try to coin up the machine, with the new monitor ;-)   I did notice the sound jumper was set in the off position so it could be playing blind.

I saw your tube rejuvenator video, that's the newest tube rejuvenator I think I have ever seen.....I have both the BK-466 and the BK-467 super old school rejuvenators ;-)  , but at least one of the sets came with the C-23 connector ;-)

next weekend I'll give the Commando board another try ;-)

Thanks
Dwight
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: