John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:40:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: old pins being tossed out  (Read 3252 times)
charlesclaysburg

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2015, 10:15:52 am »

i keep seeing people tossing old pins into the trash, and dumpsters, and it,s not who you would guess it to be, it,s the shops. i see them claiming to be of such high standards, we fix this or we do that, and we are so great , you should watch our youtube feeds, and what i have seen makes me sick, they have taken games with little or minor wear and tear  pulled a few parts for ebay and into the dumpster with the rest.i myself have found these games on the curb and dumpster. and once i followed a truck with scrap on the bed and on top the scrap pile 2 pins , i curently have the 2 games in my collection.but to get to the point.groups like this one and others have people with skills to surpass the largest of repair shops,and outsource centers.if you know of a place that junks games, ask them to give them away. it will not hurt their wallets.and in time , you will see these games repaired by those who love the games. ///// what are other members thoughts?
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 11:49:16 am »

I know what you mean. It breaks my heart watching games be pushed off the roof.

From a business stand point. Sometimes the damage will cost more to repair than the game's worth. If the Return On Investment is a loss many will dump the game before putting tons of hours into it.

Also consider some of the games look good on the outside. I saw an EM in the trash once. I was like WHOA SCORE! The cabinet looks good. But the glass was missing play field wore out real bad. The reels were locked and missing numbers. Under the play field looked like mice or something had been chewing the wires or someone just cut a bunch of them. Now a real fan of the game and hobby could spend tons of time fixing it.

John has a game full of mold right now. Many would just strip it and toss the cabinet because of the mold.

I think my point is, unseen damage or parts missing can sometimes just be to much.
KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:27:55 am »

I've seen some people get into flat out fits after watching that old TNT video where Todd shoves the Black Knight off the roof.  Heh.  At the time that was recorded, there wasn't even a YouTube.  It's an old TV commercial that aired locally in PA for TNT Amusements.  At the time, a Black Knight in the condition that one was in was worth about $100 at best.  Keep in mind they made just over 13,000 of them and at that time pins and vids weren't really sought after.  He possibly could have at least pulled the backglass out, but they didn't think about that back then.  He probably had a stack of NOS backglasses laying around then and he really hadn't gotten into backglass preservation/restoration, so any flaking trashed them.

But yes, anymore pretty much any pin/vid could potentially be saved by someone.  I don't think Todd trashes anything anymore unless it's worn beyond use.  I've never seen any local places tossing anything.  I see a few adds on Craigslist sometimes from arcades that have stripped games and then are selling the cabinets for like $50 or $100.  Sometimes bare, sometimes with coin doors and control panels.  Never monitors. 

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 02:38:23 pm »

https://youtu.be/ejiWIDvgAhY?t=1m

"Here's one you won't see at auction." Roll Eyes

https://youtu.be/DDJEoZKgDJU?t=3m48s
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:41:41 pm by lesoleil70 » Logged

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: