John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:44:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: golden axe: opinions....  (Read 3820 times)
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:21:05 pm »

So, ...one of my newer cabinets is a Golden Axe in a Defender cab. Criminal, I know. But apparently converting Defender cabs is quite common. The game is designed to keep putting quarters in so you can continue to the end of this adventure. But like all adventure games, once you complete it there really is no motivation to play again. Home use free play has ruined it a bit but my question is; what are everyone's thoughts on this title? I haven't found a lot of information on it and my 10 year old wants to keep it. I am torn on 1-selling it, 2-converting it back to a defender, 3-taking the 4900 out and putting it in my tapper.
This is a licensed Golden Axe with the fancy license on the bezel and all and I hate ruining good titles.
Thoughts?

just rebuilt another g07. On to the vector on Asteroids!
SanTe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 12:22:42 am »

Pretty much every game from the late '80s forward that has an ending and allows continues is pretty shitty for collectors in a home environment.  No long-term replay value.  It would be better if you could disable continues with dip switch settings.  Otherwise, pretty much all side-scroller beat 'em ups are useless, IMO.  They did what they were designed to do: steal as many quarters from you in the arcade as possible.  They were shitty then and they're shitty now.
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 08:25:55 am »

its only shitty for people who are undisciplined as fuck and just keep doing continues. if you start a game telling yourself only 0 or 1 continues, its fine.

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 11:07:54 am »

I am curious if there were dedicated cabs for this title or if these were conversion kits only. Again, can't find a lot of info. Gameplay now is limited continues. I allot 1 dollar worth of play to anyone who wants to be counted towards a high score count. (I rarely had more than a buck as a kid)

lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 01:55:09 am »

I think it's a great game, if you have someone to play co-op with, I always enjoyed playing it in the arcades and on Mega Drive.
I am pretty sure that Golden Axe was only sold as a kit.
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 04:27:37 pm »

I think I will leave golden axe the way it is. It has the crossed sword and axe on the front of the cab which I doubt I could replace easily if I wanted to down the road. I tell myself often that I am going to do this or that to a particular cabinet or I justify buying another one because I really need the monitor out of a POS karate champ. In the end I find myself repainting it or putting on a new cpo or rebuilding the power supply and I just can't seem to bring myself to destroy a perfectly good game/cabinet. One exception is once I paid too much for a donkey kong that was "restored" only to discover is was originally a popeye. I converted it back to a popeye. Crazy!
Golden axe will live on another day even though I think of defender every time I see it. It is, after all, kind of a cool game if you come at it with quarters and with two players.
On a side note; it is one of the first games that I can remember you being able to hit the other player during gameplay.

darkcat1

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 05:28:35 pm »

Not a bad beat'em up but everyone around here hates continue games.  Personally I just make my own rules with those

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
greg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 01:52:23 am »

Keep it for sure i cant wait to get one myself. i played it on sega all the time in the early 90s, for me the replay value is there for sure me and my buddy use to get into fist fights when it came to picking up the magic bags. if you didnt keep going alternating you were catching a fist and getting a bloody nose funny im almost 28 and this is the kind of stuff i remember

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 12:12:29 pm by greg » Logged
Kevsarcade

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2015, 09:45:56 am »

The last Golden Axe I got turned out to be a painted over Robotron!!. I sold the GA board to get most of the parts to convert it back. Golden Axe seems to be a sought after game, the PCB's bring a pretty good price. One bit of advice if your going to keep the GA, change the battery! This board is highly susceptible to battery acid damage!
K1ngArth3r

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2016, 07:12:36 am »

Golden Axe is one of my favourite games of all time.

Re-play value is high even after you've learned to one credit the game.

This never had a dedicated release did it? It was always a conversion cab?

Shame the Defender is ruined but know you can get reproduction artwork for this one if you wanted to convert it back to a defender and use a generic cab for Golden Axe.

"I'm a laser disc guy"
BadMonkey

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2016, 10:30:42 am »

Wow, robotron! That is on my list. I have thought about converting it back to a defender but my son loves the game. I picked it up on accident when I was picking up a super off road from a guy. He just wanted to get rid of it. I thought the 4900 looked nice so what the hell. I didn't realize until later that it was a Defender. GA was only a conversion kit and the entire kit was installed on the cab. The stickers, bezel, CPO, etc... It's the only reason I haven't messed with it. ...and it's a pretty cool game. Reminds me of another cab I got for cheap because I wanted the monitor. A guy advertised a "karate master". It was a poor add. Turned out to be a karate champ and works awesome! Again with the 4900 (vertical tho)

arcade jedi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2016, 12:29:37 pm »

I say keep it a Golden Axe.

GAs are not easy to find, and it sounds like the one you have is in pretty good condition.  Like someone mentioned up above, change your approach to how you play it.  I've got a number of games that have continues (Trog, Gauntlet II).  We just limit the number of buy-ins allowed during a particular session.  My 7 year old daughter and I limit the buys-ins to 3 or 4, which keeps it exciting and the game play challenging for the both of us.

GA is actually one of the games that I've been looking for. UTL so far.

[/....may the (gaming) force be with you.i]

~ Arcade Jedi
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: