John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:03:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue screen and black screen. Also Corrosion on board near batteries..........  (Read 2740 times)
blantonwh

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2015, 03:09:59 pm »

I know corrosion is bad and can cause havoc. Could it cause the following symptoms if one of the eproms has some corrosion on it. Also if the battery compartment is missing will it cause these problems. I have a sit down vs system that was working fine until a few months ago. I went to start it up this past time and I encountered a problem with it. The vs. starts up and the screens come alive but the screens just flash repeatedly. Now it continues to just be solid blue screen and the other flashes the black bar every few seconds. It will continue to do this until the machine is turned off.

Please advise on how to pursue this issue and what I can check. I have other eproms to change but no additional pcb boards.

http://imgur.com/a/GN3RK
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 11:49:31 am by blantonwh » Logged
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 04:28:59 am »

Try reseat EPROMs and check voltages!
Had the same problem with mine, problem was a loose eprom!
blantonwh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 02:06:48 pm »

I did find 1 eprom with a broken leg and the cpu had a broken leg. I removed them and replaced with a good set of eproms and still had the same results.

KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 04:08:45 am »

Perhaps get try to get some decent and well lit pictures of the PCB battery area so the damage can be assessed.  Battery acid corrosion will ruin your day.  That's why everyone remote mounts PCB batteries.  You will forget to check the AAs and they will cause damage.  Heh.

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 10:26:19 am »

dump white vinegar on the PCB around the batteries. Let it bubble away and remove as much as the battery 'acid' as you can.
You will likely have to replace the sockets that were in contact with the 'acid'. Another thing to look for is damaged traces, a lot of the time I run into battery damage it tears apart the little traces and sometimes the through holes on the board.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: