John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:18:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pacman reset loop.  (Read 9564 times)
akaclarkkent

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2015, 10:00:39 am »

Sorry guys, but I got another Pacman problem. My Pacman just constantly resets like a loop when you power on cabinet. Screens rotate from white letters/numbers, color letters, color lines, grid screen, then repeats over and over without ever starting game. If I put it in test/serivce mode by using service switch the same loop happens however instead of the grid screen I get the "Memory ok, 1 coin 1 credit, Pac-man 3, Upright" text for half a second, then other screens flashing in repettive loop like mentioned above.
After talking to Slava he said the service/test screen should be static and not resetting like the game does when trying to boot. So I have a problem causing game to constantly reset before booting and test/service screen to constantly reset.
I have changed fuse blocks.
I have checked voltages off of fuse blocks.
I have not changed edge connector with bob roberts kit (but will).
I am resetting removable chips as recommended by Slava.
Any suggestions on why I get both resets constantly? Does this sound like a power problem even though transformer test good?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 12:50:53 pm »

This is most likely not a power problem. Usually when i see this occur its some kind of rom error and rarely a ram error. The start up tests for pacman are not very conclusive and if you know someone with an eprom burner it might be worth just doing a rom check.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 01:10:32 pm »

My ms pacman does that now and it's a ground issue with pins on the PCB edge connector that an old operator hacked into the harness to fix. I also am ordering a Bob Roberts edge 44 connector repair kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
akaclarkkent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 02:36:26 pm »

Ok Thanks guys. I'll do the bob roberts edge connector replacement kit (been dreading that big time) and if that doesn't work have Madrit check my board over for ROM errors.
yocke

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 04:37:39 am »

Think it's related to E52, see if it's still in work!
akaclarkkent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 03:50:27 pm »

Edge connector did not solve problem. I think I might have had this issue prior to having board repaired so I want to believe it's a cabinet issue. My voltages check out good, fuses are good, and edge connector has been replaced but there is an old KLOV thread where the problem was power transformer and switcher solved. I might go this route. I don't have a chip puller and don't want to damage board with screw driver.

I will try to check E 52 but since I am new to all this I have to figure out how.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 07:07:47 pm »

If the pacman board works with a switcher but not with the original cabinet then the caps on pacman are bad. I think twisty wrist has the caps and Bob might, I don't yet.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
akaclarkkent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 09:04:13 pm »

If the pacman board works with a switcher but not with the original cabinet then the caps on pacman are bad. I think twisty wrist has the caps and Bob might, I don't yet.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Gives me hope. Hmm...

Edit. Update. Rest was fixed by chip being reseated. Slava (Madrit) fixed this for me, twice actually, since I looked over it. Super nice guy to with.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:21:31 pm by akaclarkkent » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: