John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:12:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble shooting - Roundhouse kick button  (Read 1256 times)
theyangman

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2015, 08:30:45 am »

So I am pulling my hair out here with my sega versus city cabinet and getting my roundhouse kick button to work on my Pandora's Box V3.

My cabinet came with a neo geo 1 slot and king of fighters 2001 installed and I quickly swapped that out for a Pandora's box v3 as I wanted something more versatile than a single standalone fighter (whose text was all in japanese mind you)

So I ordered more buttons along with the PB V3 (the CP already had holes for all three kick buttons) so I popped everything in and began looking at the wiring. Buttons 4 and 5 were already pre wired! Lucky me, the wire for button 6 took a little bit of digging but after countless hours trying to work this on my own I finally found what I believed to be the correct wire.

Mind you at this point all the buttons and joysticks work on both sides with the exception of the roundhouse kick button (what I refer to as button 6) And this button doesn't work on either side.

So ok, maybe it is the wrong wire right? So let's bypass the entire wire situation entirely and order a paradise arcade shop jamma kick adaptor!

https://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/electrical/30-paradise-blue-elf-adapter.html

I saw some youtube videos of people using these on their PB V2 and V3 and it worked so I gave it a shot.

this adaptor plugs in between the jamma harness and the board and I was all anxious to get this show on the road when my adapter arrived on Tuesday.

I plugged the bastard in and the wires aren't labeled so I plug them in one by one, and I test them in the PB's input test screen. Slowly but surely, one by one,

P1 - button 4 - Check
P1 - button 5 - Check
P2 - button 4 - Check
P2 - button 5 - Check
P1 - button 6 - Nothing
P2 - button 6 - Nothing......

WTF...!?!??!?!?!?

Now I am plugging all of these wires and testing it on the P1 button 6 so I KNOW the button itself is not the issue, I also know the ground wire can't be the issue because of the previously mentioned test.

How is my PB not recognizing button 6?!?!??!

I know it is a long shot to trouble shoot these Asian hack boards but any input or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone locally has a SF 2 board I could borrow just to ensure that my installed kick harness DOES work as well as my Paradise adapter, so I could perhaps at least isolate the issue to the PB would be very much appreciated, whiskey and hugs available as compensation. (I live in London, Ontario Canada... )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: