John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:36:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong 3 convert to Donkey Kong  (Read 6175 times)
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« on: June 07, 2013, 01:49:49 pm »

Hey all, first time poster long time follower. Love this site!!

I am looking into buying a 3 Cab, it's blue. I would really like to make it a machine.

What difficulties will this pose? Will i just need to buy a pcb and it's as simple as plugging it in?

Dedicated: Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Ms Pac Man, 3, VS. Castlevania, Space Invaders Deluxe

Boards: Vs. Goonies, Vs. Super Mario Bros,
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:24:04 am »

I am looking into buying a 3 Cab, it's blue. I would really like to make it a machine.

What difficulties will this pose? Will i just need to buy a pcb and it's as simple as plugging it in?

3 uses an edge connector. SO, yeah, it's real simple... just unplug the DK3 board and plug in the DK board.
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:18:51 pm »

3 uses an edge connector. SO, yeah, it's real simple... just unplug the DK3 board and plug in the DK board.

Thank you John, I was under the impression i would need an adapter for it to work. But this is great news thank you!

Dedicated: Turbo Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, Ms Pac Man, 3, VS. Castlevania, Space Invaders Deluxe

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:37:45 am »

As long as it has the original edge connector harness, nope! Just plug and play!

Thank you John, I was under the impression i would need an adapter for it to work. But this is great news thank you!
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 11:04:42 pm »

So i purchased the machine. However inside it looks like a popeye setup

Do you think this would pose a problem John, if i were to purchase a DK board?

buffett

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 02:45:52 am »

it will be plug and play with your current setup.

you will need to change the ribbon cable if your DK does not come with one.

popeye is a horizontal game.

Peace
Buffett

Come to MAGfest and game in the 24-7 arcade for 4 days. www.magfest.org And see my collection of 90+ Arcades and growing.
Need your (K7000, 4900, std/med res 13"-25") or Sanyo fixed!!!! pm me.
Visit my website. The Arcade Buffett For Monitor and PCB repairs.
Fully rebuilt chassis ready to ship.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 09:08:04 am »

So i purchased the machine. However inside it looks like a popeye setup

Do you think this would pose a problem John, if i were to purchase a DK board?

That's a standard DK3 setup. You can plug and play with a DK board (2-board set, not 4-board!) but you will need a rainbow cable to get power to the second board.

On the back of the cage is a filter board. If you pull that out you'll see the edge connector that's plugged into the DK3 board. Unplug the DK3 board the plug in your 2-board DK board with the rainbow cable.

The rainbow cable is here:

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=NINRAINBOW

This cable plugs from one board to the other. In a standard DK setup you are plugging a power cable to each board in stack (two power cables). With the edge connector it's only supplying power to one board so you need install the rainbow cable to jump power to the second board. It's very easy to do.

Here's how the rainbow cable looks installed:

godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 09:32:22 am »

Quote from: blkdog7

That's a standard DK3 setup. You can plug and play with a DK board (2-board set, not 4-board!) but you will need a rainbow cable to get power to the second board.

On the back of the cage is a filter board. If you pull that out you'll see the edge connector that's plugged into the DK3 board. Unplug the DK3 board the plug in your 2-board DK board with the rainbow cable.

The rainbow cable is here:

http://www.mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?sku=NINRAINBOW

This cable plugs from one board to the other. In a standard DK setup you are plugging a power cable to each board in stack (two power cables). With the edge connector it's only supplying power to one board so you need install the rainbow cable to jump power to the second board. It's very easy to do.

Here's how the rainbow cable looks installed:

Thank you so much for the informative post. this site is awesome

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:22 am »

No prob! Looks like a nice DK cabinet you picked up. I'm sure it was originally a DK.
godfather

King Of The Castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 01:18:46 pm »

No prob! Looks like a nice DK cabinet you picked up. I'm sure it was originally a DK.

How do I tell John? I checked the Nintendo plate on the back and the serial shows it as a DK 3?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: