John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:02:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Generic Nintendo Vs. Board?  (Read 1414 times)
ChanceKJ

Calgary, Alberta.

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2015, 03:14:43 am »

I started this thread over on KLOV back on July 21st. Thought i'd copy it here. I also have it going on the BYOAC, where theres a bit more discussion going, (Links below). I know theres a "Multi-Vs" board in the works, but i still like the idea i've outlined below:

Begin Original Post:
--------------------------------------
I've been sitting on this idea for a bit now, and as I have too many new projects coming to me in the next bit I thought I'd send this out there to see if there's interest and maybe we could brainstorm ideas on solving a few basic technical problems.

What I propose is a blank generic Nintendo Vs. PCB. The idea behind this is to allow people who have any Uni or DualSystem to install a small form factor computer (Intel NUC, Raspberry Pi, for example) onto this board and interface with the Nintendo edge connectors without modifying the nintendo hardware.

The board should be simple. Same size and thickness as a Vs PCB. Labels and extra solder pads for each circuit comming off the edge connectors (for mod potentials or future upgrades). Mounting holes for the standard Pi, and maybe a couple NUC hole patterns. And either an on board solution for the HID and CGA conversion or mounting holes to mount a Kade(s), and HDMI>VGA>CGA converters.

Where I'm kinda lost and haven't spent much time is the conversion of video and audio from the CPU to the edge connectors. What would be the best way to get the CGA signal from dual HDMI on a NUC? Or make it RPie only and go CGA out of the GPIO? What is the simplest way to interface the audio? What other things would be important? Should/can the CPU be powered via the edge connector, or will a small separate power cord (like an extension cord) need to be run into the cab with minimal modification? Do you go VGA from the rPI and convert that into CGA with one of those little red video conversion boards?

Is this a project people would have interest in? I just want a simple way I could emulate all the rare Vs games I'll never own, or add all those old GameBoy, NES, and Playchoice titles into my Red Tent but still be able to pull the board and put in my Wrecking Crew or SMB Vs PCB's without moding the cab or suffering the shame and regret that I maimed a peice of history for MAME. Could this be a cheap, easy alternative to getting more out of our old Nintendo setups? Something for people who can't afford or again the upcoming "Multi-Vs." daughter board? Maybe a red or purple PCB  ? What do you guys think?
--------------------------------------

KLOV Link: http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=351177
BYOAC Link: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,146431
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:18:15 am by ChanceKJ » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: