John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:04:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: broken or missing diode on spare whirlwind board what do I need?  (Read 2595 times)
David P

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:31 pm »

This is just a spare board I bought off ebay for my whirlwind found a broken diode wondering what is It? what is needed to replace it?

Thank You

mcdefjef

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:23 am »

should be in the manual:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2765/Williams_1990_Whirlwind_Operations_Manual_Br_With_Schematics.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 07:55:31 am »

someones had a go at that board, your going to have to replace that nice fat IC next to the blow diode too. what else is missing or has been removed?

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
David P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 08:50:04 am »

someones had a go at that board, your going to have to replace that nice fat IC next to the blow diode too. what else is missing or has been removed?

U41 and u42 I have replacements for both - the blow diode as your calling is just has a B beside it there are several all over the board same one with -B- next to I can't find this part in the manual on the CPU parts description it is not an actual part number..hmmmm
BloodyCactus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:58:24 am »

well the note on the schematic says "All capacitors with value 'B' are bypass capacitors with value of 0.1uf"

--/\-[ A Pin Guy ]-/\--
David P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:59:54 pm »

well the note on the schematic says "All capacitors with value 'B' are bypass capacitors with value of 0.1uf"

Thank you after looking at this spare board not sure it is worth fixing it has been beat up pretty bad!

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:27:22 pm »

That looks like a bypass cap. If you want to replace it put in a 0.1uF 20-50V ceramic. It is most likely not required for the board to operate and is more of a best practices thing in board design.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
KJ4IPS

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 04:51:56 pm »

Real quick, that is a bypass cap, it is used to filter out high frequency junk, almost every high speed IC will have one (CPU, RAM, ROM, PIA, and more) If an IC is populated, it's associated bypass cap should be present.
They should always be very close together. According to BloodyCactus they originally were .1uf (which is a pretty common value). If that IC is not going to reinserted, just desolder and remove the broken part, otherwise the IC can be reinstalled while the cap's replacement is on order, but you should still reinstall it eventually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: