John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:43:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can anyone tell me in detail the best way to fix slightly raised insert?  (Read 9008 times)
David P

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:07 pm »

I have two maybe three slightly raised inserts on my Whirlwind I just got you can see where there just slightly raised up on one end and some clear plastic being pushed up off the playfield just at the top of the insert.
I read somewhere you heat it up with a hairdryer but with lights and wires underneath cant really get that close- is the clear plastic the mylar (total pin newbie) will it restick after ? can I heat the insert up on low hair dryer heat from the top and bang on it some how?

Not really effecting game play but should be more level in the playfield any information appreciated.

David
Worm2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 11:53:26 am »

I think, Once the mylar starts to let go and peel up. Its almost time to replace. It is easy to put down new mylar. But you will send lots of time trying to remove it safely. I know some people just remove the mylar and never put new stuff down. I think you should be VERY happy you have the factory mylar on there still!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 03:02:02 pm »

I haven't personally had to do any kind of fixing like this but a friend of mine does pinball repair and restore and he uses a heatgun to loosen the glue and uses a rubber mallet to tap flush. I know there are some videos online showing this so I would give a search on youtube.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
SpitfireN8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:27:00 pm »

Whirlwind, or any sys 11, is VERY hit or miss if you can safely remove the mylar.  If you are inexperienced i would advise not messing with it.  if the raised insert is not affecting gameplay I would leave it alone.  Remember, the enemy of good is better!

There are alot of really knowledgable people over on pinside who can give you some advice, check for a thread by Vid1900 on playfield restoration.
KennyL

I'm just an average guy, I guess.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 08:01:20 am »

Whirlwind, or any sys 11, is VERY hit or miss if you can safely remove the mylar.  If you are inexperienced i would advise not messing with it.  if the raised insert is not affecting gameplay I would leave it alone.  Remember, the enemy of good is better!

There are alot of really knowledgable people over on pinside who can give you some advice, check for a thread by Vid1900 on playfield restoration.

Really, if you're going to be working on pinball machines at all joining Pinside and seeking out every help thread Vid has posted isn't a bad idea.  There are lots of other helpful people, but for tech Vid can't be beat.

Kenny L.
As an f.y.i. there is more than corn in Indiana...there's soybeans, ha.
Mini NeoGeo machine thread, inspired by Ben Heck:
http://www.johnsarcade.com/forum/index.php?topic=2640.0
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 04:49:34 pm »

Yeah Vid has a guide on using epoxy to glue an insert then a big c clamp to secure it while drying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 04:57:21 pm »

+1 on this.

Mine has Mylar and some raised inserts. I left it alone. It plays fine, really. Mylar on System 11 can lift the paint with it if you try to remove it. I know a hardcore pin restorer that says "#1 rule - leave mylar alone on  a System 11"
David P

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 10:11:56 pm »

Thanks Johns yes only two or three slightly raised inserts and does not effect game play so I am leaving it alone? do they raise from bulb heat would it be good to change to led lights were inserts are slightly raised or would it make no difference as my game is rarely on for more then two hours or less at a time?

Thanks
jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 04:57:29 pm »

I heard bulb heat is a myth, they raise from the changes in he wood over the years as it flexes..

jtslade

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 04:59:12 pm »

Check out Vid's guide about epoxy gluing the bottom of the insert then clamping it to dry/set. I have some raised inserts on my upper playfield Jungle Lord that I will be gluing soon

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: