John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:10:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flaky acting Sega Turbo  (Read 3139 times)
wesley3flex

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:46:50 pm »

I bought a Sega Turbo game a week ago.  Since that week I have been in for a rollercoaster ride with the game.  The only thing that was wrong with the game when I bought it was the shifter.  I think I have found the problem.  Only two wires are connected to the microswith and there are supposed to be three.  So,  I will fix this soon.  Luckily I stay in high gear all the time.

Second problem was the gas pedal.  One day it suddenly stopped registering 0 and 1 speeds.  When my foot was off the pedal it was going at a 3, 2 when pressed barely, and 3 when pressed all the way.  For some reason the game cleared this problem up and it works the way it is supposed too.  Not sure.

The third problem which just started happening yesterday.  I was playing the game and it was doing fine.  I went to do some yard work and when I came back the screen had all these vertical lines and looking a bit srambled with a few numbers on it.  Not sure what the is with that.  I use to be able to press the start button of the game and the game would start.  Now, it just adds credits, and putting in a only gives credits.  The game doesn't actually start.  I checked one of the boards and reseated most of the chips.  Does anyone have any hints of what I should do?

Thanks for any help,
Wesley
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 06:42:55 pm »

Did you check your voltages? Is the board getting +5V? Is it high or low? Start there!
wesley3flex

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »

I checked the power supply and voltage is saying 5.2, but when I check the inputs going into the board I am getting 4.82.  When I check the roms on the board I get 4.82 as well.  Seems a little weird to me.  Not sure whats going on.
wesley3flex

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:03:57 pm »

I just jumped up the voltage from 5.2 to 5.4 on the power supply trying to get the board to 5.0.  I got close at 4.9.  Still the same weird acting screen.  What would you check next?  Thanks
wesley3flex1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:35:47 pm »

I turned the game on and just let it sit there for about 4 hours.  I come back and the game comes back up to the regular screen.  I press the start button and it only give me credits, but would not let me play.  A week or two later I let the game sit for 4/5 hours and it just started working.  No idea why.

I play for a month or two then it breaks again.  This time it gets stuck as soon as the game starts up.  The bass on the game just humms forever.  The screen has one graphic of the outline of the load, and sometimes it switches the direction of the road.  I am about to throw my arms up at this game.  I have no idea what is wrong.

Any help would be most appreciated.
ArcadeJunkie2099

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 07:26:35 am »

So... your voltages are too low.  Rebuild/replace your power supply.  You should be getting 5.2 to 5.4 on the board... Check your molexes and cables for crimps or frays too...
virtvic

It's on...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:46:32 am »

Look for cold (cracked) solder joints too.

As the machine warms up, the connections of the components get better - may be why your machine improves after being on for a period of time...
RetroArcade

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 12:49:44 pm »

Wesely did you find the problem on your PCB board starting up, because i'm having the same issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: