John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:51:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starting My Own Pinball Tournament  (Read 2449 times)
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:13:12 pm »

I am very close to being able to start my own pinball tournament locally. I'm not far off from buying my pinball machine and I was curious if anyone had any tips for running a pinball tournament as ive never hosted or been to one before.

Any and all help appreciated. I'm thinking highest score wins. One full game as in 3 + if you score extra ball.

Prizes for first second and third place with an entry fee of a undetermined amount.

I talked with the local chamber of commerce today and got there permission only thing I need now is a pinball machine and an idea of how to run a tournament. Thanks guys.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 08:16:47 am »

how many people do you think you are going to have show up?
games are usually 4 player so you need 1 pinball machine for every 4 people at a minimum.

After you have that. go read up the IFPA rules and guidelines. They have a pretty good rule set that you can follow and if done correctly will allow you to report the standings to their website.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 08:54:10 am »

how many people do you think you are going to have show up?
games are usually 4 player so you need 1 pinball machine for every 4 people at a minimum.

After you have that. go read up the IFPA rules and guidelines. They have a pretty good rule set that you can follow and if done correctly will allow you to report the standings to their website.

I'm guessing not more than 20 people at a maximum. but where this is something that doesnt occur around here and has never occured here i cannot really say for sure. Also not sure what the IFPA is exactly.

True restoration is an art form. Like any good artist you have to know what your doing. Painting a single line on a canvas and calling it a masterpiece does not fly in restoring a arcade machine. Do it right
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 08:56:40 am »

you might want to get a lot more familiar with pinball culture and tournaments before running one.

http://www.ifpapinball.com/

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Hyderyoda

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 05:19:29 am »

I think u might need more then one pin to have a tournament.  If I went to a pinball tornament and only one pin was there I would be sad. I have 9 pins and I'm not even ready to run a tournament.

Line up ~ Mario wide body, DK ,Time Pilot, Street Fighter II,  Neo Geo , Legends of Gauntlet , Need for speed Underground. Pin Line up (Data East) , Swords of Fury , Mata Hari
Mr_Rampage

Arcade/Coin Op Inventor

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:59:55 pm »

Yeah im working on it.

look i get it i am an armature but i am learning. I am also raising the funds to buy a decent machine. First one im aiming for is a monopoly pinball.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: