John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:08:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong Gameplay Help  (Read 5171 times)
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:46:48 am »

I've been getting better at (recently broke 100k), but when I get to L4, the 'wild' barrels (or as I call them the MSB's (Mario-Seeking Barrels) on the Barrel screen) get me every time.  It doesn't matter how I move or swerve or backtrack.  It zeroes in on me like a Homing missile.

Is there a trick to dodge these bad boys?

-----

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons . . . for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

-----

Yes, I changed my handle.  I was never really happy with Vidiot.

-----
marky_d

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:59:26 am »

The wild barrels on L4 are quite dangerous, especially so the closer you get to Kong, and I'd be willing to bet that you've been directly hit numerous times attempting to grab the top hammer. I'm no expert, but as a general rule it is best to dodge them by moving to the left since they don't bounce as sharply to the left as they do to the right. The other thing to do would be to burn through the screen as fast as possible, perhaps even skipping the top hammer because if you simply reduce the number of barrels Kong throws, the lower the chances are of getting wild barrels to with in the first place (obviously).

Given your high score, I'm pretty sure you have made it to L5 before and you may have noticed that the wild barrels are much more tame and easy to manage. The reason I mention this is that on L4 after 33 seconds have expired on the screen the game will switch difficulty, and you will have L5 style wild barrels to with which is a good thing. Now, what a lot of top players will do on L4 to take advantage of this change in difficulty is to go ahead and grab the bottom hammer to gain some extra points, but more importantly it helps to bide some time so usually by the time you make it to the top and more dangerous part of the screen, the game has already made the difficulty switch to L5 and you aren't going to get assassinated by an unavoidable MSB. Of course, learning to grab the bottom hammer here can present it's own problems and can take a little getting used to, but it's a good tactic to consider. Hope that made sense.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:11:13 am by marky_d » Logged
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:07:16 am »

The other thing to do would be to burn through the screen as fast as possible, perhaps even skipping the top hammer because if you simply reduce the number of barrels Kong throws, the lower the chances are of getting wild barrels to with in the first place (obviously).

Good point. I was on the road to try and break 100k myself last month currently my personal best is about 79k. (clearly I'm not an expert) BUT I have found on my best games, when the barrels get to hot to handle I tend to power through the level and save the point pressing for the rivet stage. I want to try and see how far I can progress in levels in general before I try to master point pressing on each one.

That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 12:28:56 pm »

Cool!  Thanks for the tips.   Grin

-----

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons . . . for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

-----

-----
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 08:22:01 pm »

After seeing this thread I was inspired to play a round tonight and brought up my personal best about 5k points. Figured I would share!

That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:38:17 pm »

Very cool!  Great job!  100k is next!  Go for it!   Grin

-----

-----

-----
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:57:48 am »

Very cool!  Great job!  100k is next!  Go for it!   Grin

Thanks buddy, I may of gotten it last night, but I made a couple dumb mistakes and then missed a jump on the third elevator stage. Just gotta tighten up my gameplay. May try and go for it again, I played so much a few months ago and watched so many world record games and stuff I burnt myself out trying. I remember when i hit my first 50k at the local barcade though after practicing for a month. It was a pretty good feeling. My goal was to have 100k by Funspot. Looks like John may run the tournament this year, so hopefully I can play my 100k game on the Funspot DK!

That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:48:46 pm »

Thanks buddy, I may of gotten it last night, but I made a couple dumb mistakes

Trust me.  I know what you mean by making dumb mistakes.  The last time I played, I lost 2 Marios on the very first board due to mind-numbing stupidity on my part.  I might be able to hit 150k if I stop making these silly mistakes.  Oh, well . . . Practice makes perfect.

Good luck!

-----

-----

-----
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 01:11:11 am »

ARGH!

I just fell short of setting a new personal high score on DK.  I had 100,900 points (my current best is 104,200) and I'm on the L5 Cement Factory stage.  I climb the ladder to the upper conveyor belt (the one below where DK is), and all of the fireballs on the other side of the screen . . .

. . . and I get hit by a Cement tray (or whatever they called) at the bottom of the final ladder.  If I just wait for the tray to appear and jump over it, I'd have clear sailing up the ladder to a new high score.

I literally got up from my computer and walked around my apartment uttering profanities.  It was the only Mario that I lost in the entire game due my own stupidity.   Angry

* sigh *
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 01:14:47 am by Vidiot » Logged

-----

-----

-----
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: