John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:07:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mario Bros - No Power  (Read 12876 times)
bfrosty

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2015, 11:20:59 pm »

Just landed this Wide-Body Mario Bros cabinet last night.  The guy didn't know what was wrong, but said maybe the transformer?

So, put the meter on the output on the transformer and was getting 103.7/8 Volts (I Guess that was good)

I guess it is the power supply??? Here is a photo.
The small transformer on the far right looks good, but then the power supply is the box to the left?  That thing is huge!!!

Also, I saw in the PCB cage the board has two dbl-A batteries on it.  Should I replace those?  Is that for keeping high scores?

Pic:

As always, thanks for any and all help.
MK
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 11:51:52 pm »

The batteries are there for high score saving.  I would remove them and consider adding in a 'remote battery holder'.  Look for johns videos on how to do that.

Edit. I talked out of my ass.

As far as the power supply goes.  It's possible the supply is dead.  Does the monitor and marquee power on?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 08:16:35 am by iankellogg » Logged

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
SanTe

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 01:23:46 am »

The batteries are there for high score saving.  I would remove them and consider adding in a 'remote battery holder'.  Look for johns videos on how to do that.

The batteries are for saving bookkeeping data for arcade ops, not saving high scores.  If the batteries saved high scores then high score save kits wouldn't be needed for Mario Bros.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:51:28 am »

Thanks for correcting that. Then there is no need to have the batteries then.

bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 08:34:25 am »

Okay, check on the batteries <- I wanted to remove them anyway...didn't need any more corrosion popping up!!!

The Monitor and Marque do not power up at all.

I found this: http://arcadeshop.com/nin-ps/nin-ps.htm

I already have a HAPP Power supply...would this work?  I'd have a lot more room in my cabinet!!!

Thanks guys.
MK
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:21 am »

Ian -

If the Marquee and Monitor don't power up or sound like they powered up....Do you think it could be that transformer?

MK

The batteries are there for high score saving.  I would remove them and consider adding in a 'remote battery holder'.  Look for johns videos on how to do that.

Edit. I talked out of my ass.

As far as the power supply goes.  It's possible the supply is dead.  Does the monitor and marquee power on?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:06:27 am »

Stick the multi meter probes into the plug sockets on the brick and make sure you are getting 100Vac (not 120vac) when you turn the cab on. That would let you know if the transformer is working. If the transformer is working plug in the monitor/marquee into the sockets and make sure the power supply is connected (it doesn't use a wall outlet).

Once the transformer is verified working, try to check the voltages on the pins of the power supply. Its very likely the power supply is dead, they are reliable but they do sometimes fail. If that is the case then we can talk about replacing it or hacking in a new one. Fixing a power supply is pretty over the head of most people.

bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 09:17:27 am »

Ian,

Just want to verify a few things you mentioned.

The Isolation Transformer has two yellow wires going to the dual outlet (Marquee/Monitor)

The Isolation Transformer has an additional two yellow wire running into the Power Supply.  (I tested that plug and was getting 103.7VAC)

Can the Marquee and Monitor have power just from the Isolation Transformer? or does it get power from the actual power supply?

I will have to find the pins on the power supply....I think I downloaded the Mario Bros Manual yesterday.  I'll check.

Thanks,
MK
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 09:26:45 am »

The monitor and marquee get their power directly from the transformer, I believe its a separate tap so you will have to check it. but at least you know the power supply is getting power from the transformer. the manual should have the pinout for the supply.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 09:38:57 am »

Yeah, you don't need the batteries on the PCB. Throw them out.

Don't buy any parts yet until we are convinced your power supply is bad.

Check voltages going into the power supply and going out. It's a little tricky on those Nintendo power supplies to test. You need to test at the board or on the FCC adapter the thing.
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:15:03 am »

Thank John and Ian.

I will check voltages tonight and get back to you.....Also, will remove those batteries.

MK
bfrosty

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 08:33:57 pm »

Okay, try follow me here...

So, I thought, Humm...I will check all the fuses and test for continuity.  All 4 fuses checked out except for the .3A on the monitor.  It showed no continuity.  I wonder if that is it?

Voltage Checks at the Pins where the connectors connect to the power supply.  Thanks Lauren for writing these down for me.  My 10yr old daughter who can't wait to play Mario Bros.

9-Pin connector
Color      Spec    Actual Reading
Blue       +5       +5.22
Purple    +5       +5.22
Yellow    +12      +12
Green    +12      +12
Gray      -5.13     -5
White     +24      +23.58
Brown Ground
Red Ground
Orange Ground

10-Pin Connector
Color     Spec     Actual Reading
Brown    -5         -5.14
Red        -5         -5.13
Orange   -5         -5.14
Yellow    -5         -5.14
Green Ground
Blue Ground
Purple Ground
Gray Ground
White      +5        +5.22
Black       +5        +5.22

So, Should I continue on and check voltages at the FCC Connector? or Replace the .3A 100V fuse in the monitor first?

Thanks Guys!
MK

Yeah, you don't need the batteries on the PCB. Throw them out.

Don't buy any parts yet until we are convinced your power supply is bad.

Check voltages going into the power supply and going out. It's a little tricky on those Nintendo power supplies to test. You need to test at the board or on the FCC adapter the thing.
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 08:44:57 pm »

It sounds like your power supply is working just fine, but having that .3A fuse blown means your monitor needs fixing.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 09:17:16 pm »

Try replacing the fuse and see what happens.

Does the game play blind at all?
Retrogamer1998

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 09:39:54 pm »

If it does turn out to be a power supply issue I have a spare working one. If you need it we can work something out:)
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: