John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:22:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong (and D2K) High Scores  (Read 6455 times)
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« on: January 01, 2015, 01:33:43 am »

I'm actually surprised that there isn't a thread for this . . .

Oh, well.  I recently mentioned on this forum (or maybe in the comments of one of John's videos), that my DK High Score was over 134k.  This score isn't 'official', because I was starting with 6 Jumpmen.  (My High Score on D2K was 29,600).

So in honor of John's quest to reach 300k, I made a New Year's Resolution to play the game as it was meant to be played, so I erased my High Score tables on both of these games to begin anew.  Now I will play the game according to the official rules (DK=3 Marios / Bonus at 7,000; D2K=5 Marios / Bonus at 7,000; Dk Jr.=3 Marios / Bonus at 7,000)

I play on my PC with MAME using the Arrow keys instead of a joystick, and 'Numpad Enter' key as my Jump button.

The new boards on D2K don't play well with others, do they?

How are your High Scores doing?

My High Scores are in my signature.                            
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:54:55 am by Vidiot » Logged

-----

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons . . . for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

-----

Yes, I changed my handle.  I was never really happy with Vidiot.

-----
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:11:36 am »

Good for you for erasing those high-scores and playing on the correct settings!

D2K is tough and the correct setting is five Marios. Right?
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 12:15:53 pm »

D2K is tough and the correct setting is five Marios. Right?

It is?  Oh, well.  I'll just erase the HS Table again, change the settings, and start again.  Thanks!

To ensure that I have the correct settings, are these settings correct?

DK:  3 Jumpmen to start / 10k for Bonus Jumpman
D2K:  5 Jumpmen to start / 10k for Bonus Jumpman

What are the official settings for DK Jr.?  3 to start / 10k for Bonus like DK?

Edit:  Umm . . . My D2K won't allow me to begin DK with 3 Marios and D2K with 5 Marios.  It has to be the same starting # of Marios for both games.  Maybe I should just set it for 5 Marios, but when I play DK, die twice before playing.  Any ideas?

Edit #2:  I just checked with Twin Galaxies and the official settings for DK are 3 Jumpmen / 7k for Bonus Jumpman.  Not much of a difference, but I'll go with the official TG settings.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 03:35:13 pm by Vidiot » Logged

-----

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons . . . for you are crunchy and good with catsup.

-----

-----
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 11:47:19 pm »

OK.  We're all set.  Now using all of the official settings according to Twin Galaxies, here are my current High Scores:

:  26,100  (I wonder if dying twice at the very beginning to get my starting Marios down to the official 3 is screwing the game up.)

II:  26,300  (I had 5 Marios going into the screen after the elevator/spring screen, but I got clobbered.  Wish I could just practice that screen.

, Jr.:  52,900 (I should have been able to get 75k but I died stupidly a couple of times).

-----

-----

-----
moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 01:27:38 am »

John's videos inspired me to revisit DK as well.  Over New Years I was at a place with a little arcade and I went and set the high score! 
SanTe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 02:44:40 am »

How are your High Scores doing?

No change since I stopped playing regularly five years ago.

3-man start:  778,600 (L19)
6-man start:  928,500 (L22)

Played D2K a bit back in 2009 but never really got into it.  Not enough to do on most of the boards.  It's just lots of running and precision jumping and racing the clock.  I do like it, especially the difficulty, but I prefer the original.
arcadefan1985

Williams Collector

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 05:41:07 pm »

You guys got me fired up to play a little DK. I've never been any good at it mainly from not playing it much.
I did hit 68,000 my first game.
On to D2k, I had this in my machine for a while and other than the high score save I like the foundry roms my son burnt just as well. Slightly harder and free!

That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 05:52:35 pm »

So that my scores are easier for me to find and update, I'll be Modifying the OP.  Once I get my screenshot problem figured out (see Technical Help for that thread), I'll post resized pics of those.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:56:03 pm by Vidiot » Logged

-----

-----

-----
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 07:00:54 pm »

* high scores now updated in my signature *
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:10:49 am by Vidiot » Logged

-----

-----

-----
That Retro Guy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »

I just completed Level 1 on D2K.  For the first time ever, I captured DK!   Grin

-----

-----

-----
moogrum

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 10:54:17 pm »

Ok I went yo try dk Jr after johns video And I think I got up to 10,000 after about 5 tries. That game is way harder than donkey Kong.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: