John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:45:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pac-Man Patters on MAME  (Read 4708 times)
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:56:30 pm »

Recently I've been looking into the patterns for pac-man to get a perfect pac-man score. Obviously its going to take practice beyond belief. In any event, for some reason when I play pac on MAME it seems like the pattern does not work at all. Even the simplest pattern on the cherry stage the ghosts just don't seem to be there. Am I going crazy, am I subconsciously doing the pattern wrong an I am not realizing it, or is it different on the emulator? (which I was doubting) Let me know what you guys know.. Thanks!

moogrum

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 06:33:39 pm »

Maybe its a different ROM than the standard one?
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 06:46:57 pm »

That could be true I have to look into it a bit. I may actually make a trip to the bowling alley in town just to see if I'm doing everything right on their pac man.

SanTe

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 10:52:21 pm »

That could be true I have to look into it a bit. I may actually make a trip to the bowling alley in town just to see if I'm doing everything right on their pac man.

If you are using a relatively recent version of MAME you'll want to use the "pacman" ROM, which is the original Midway version that was released in the U.S. back in the day.  When players came up with patterns and games started running really long Midway put out a ROM revision called the "Atlantic City" chip, which changed the ghost AI so the established pattens no longer worked.  There was reportedly a third version called "Manhattan" but it apparently is quite rare.

If you are using the correct MAME ROM and the machine at your bowling alley has completely different ghost AI it is possible the bowling alley's cab has the "Atlantic City" ROM set, which wasn't uncommon back in the day so it wouldn't be surprising to still run across one today.  In MAME there is a "pacmod" ROM that is identified as "Midway, harder."  It's my bet that this is the "Atlantic City" version.

See page 25 of the following PDF for how to identify the different ROM set revisions by watching the attract mode:

http://www.lomont.org/Software/Games/PacMan/PacmanEmulation.pdf
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:15:22 am by SanTe » Logged
yenshajing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 03:44:01 am »

I keep a distance from the truth of me to come to your reality.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: