John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:51:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 1st cabinet.  (Read 2739 times)
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« on: December 09, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »

Hey guys,

Just wondering what were some of your first cabinets. I want to potentially buy one in the new year. I'm trying to figure out what would be a good game as far as price, and reliability. I am open to having to do repairs if I have to, so I guess something easy to work on so that I can learn with it. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks

moogrum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »

Well, what kind of games do you like?  Get one of those!
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 09:17:16 pm »

Haha. I guess that leaves me open to anything. I really like vector games, but I saw a Tempest on craigs in South Jersey they wanted $1k which I thought was extremely high. I would not be opposed to a Nintendo playchoice either. I'm really open to anything. I like most arcade games. I'd get anything, but a fighter, unless it was MK3 cause I love that game. The way I look at it, I can play a fighter on a console. I guess I would not mind a ladybug either.

MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 07:36:15 am »

Actually the more and more I think about it I really like the Atari System 1 & 2 games. Especially APB and Marble Madness. It would be cool to get my hands on one of those. I also really like Batman arcade from 1990.

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:33:03 am »

My first system was a neogeo mvs. Lots of games with a lot of variety. Ultimately get a game you like and don't pay too much for it.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
VertexGuy
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 12:04:36 am »

If I can go back and pick a first game id get a frogger or joust
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 07:09:05 am »

Joust would be really fun too. I think my biggest thing is I'm not 100% sure what things are worth so I don't want to overpay since I am fairly new to collecting arcade games.

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 08:34:41 am »

pm me and i can help you with pricing.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 08:46:40 am »

Alright awesome. I will be sure to do so if I find something I want to buy. Thanks!

lesoleil70

zaccaria.co.uk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:32:41 pm »

Find a crappy low cost cabinet that doesn't need much doing to it, learn Jamma wiring and everything that goes with that, buy a 60-1 board, then go from there.

And some advice from someone who made this mistake - be careful with your money - it's all too tempting to buy a load of stuff and regret it, count to 10, maybe higher, take advice, then buy.

"We don't give the fuck, what the fuck you think of this shit, alright!" - Jacobsen, J. "Arcade Outsiders Ep. 56" http://media.libsyn.com/media/vgo/arcade_out_ep_56.mp3 (12/02/14)
MechaGregor_

"You Gotta Do It Right!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 08:47:16 pm »

Thanks for the tips man. I got a buddy who just lucked out and picked up a pretty turn key Arch Rivals cab for $100 from his local bar. Hopefully I can stumble onto something like that myself one of these days.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: