John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:57:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: qbert player 1 and 2 buttons do not work  (Read 2737 times)
qrulz

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:10 am »

I just picked up a qbert and everything looks good but the player 1 and player 2 buttons worked twice then quit on me.  any ideas of what might be the problem?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:25:58 am »

Have you checked to see if the buttons work themselves?
DO you have a multimeter (DMM)? If not, go get one. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12966
That's a decent cheap one.

If you do have a multimeter put it on continuity test or resistance and just put the leads on each side of the button and push the button down to see if the switch works, do this with the power off of course.

If the switch looks good, do the coin switches work? If the game is in freeplay, put it back into normal coin operation and test the coin switches. If they work then you need to start looking at the wiring to the switches, if they don't work you might have a bad IC on the PCB.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
qrulz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 09:17:01 am »

Thanks. I will check the continuity when I get home tonight. The coin switch is working. It is showing credits on the screen but I can not start a game. Does the coin switch working eliminate ic issue?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:21:18 am »

My instinct says yes it would, I don't know the details about qbert like I do with other games but I think it would.

I would check the switch and maybe reseat any connectors to the game board. Maybe something started to build up some oxide.

John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 09:28:29 am »

Simple stuff first...

Did you remove the control panel and inspect the buttons and the wires going to them? A ground wire could have come of or loose on one of the buttons.
qrulz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 08:09:38 pm »

When I have the button pushed down I have continuity all the way from ground at the power supply through the button switch and to the pcb. The switch and wiring seem to be okay. Have you got any other ideas that I can try?
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:16:06 pm »

You can always check if the button is working at the PCB. a lot harder to do but you need to follow the wire all the back to the board and see if you get high and low when you click the switch.

qrulz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »

Just wanted to give an update.  I reflowed the solder on the filter board header pins and that fixed this issue.  It also fixed my knocker, sound (it was jumping between no sound, low sound, and blasting), and the menu select button.   Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 09:13:50 am »

Just wanted to give an update.  I reflowed the solder on the filter board header pins and that fixed this issue.  It also fixed my knocker, sound (it was jumping between no sound, low sound, and blasting), and the menu select button.   Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas.

Wow! GREAT WORK!! Congrats.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: