John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:15:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Arcade marquee light fixture alternatives  (Read 17360 times)
EDD

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:46:21 pm »

I heard of using standard light bulbs or a led strip but i wanted to know what is the best alternative to original arcade marque light fixtures.
Hgloth

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 01:35:06 am »

I hate to admit it this, but Walmart sales an 18inch under cabinet light, with the bulb for 8 dollars... It looks almost exactly like a nintendo style, infact I have 5 nintendo cabs and all of them have that exact fixture, using the original cord, that I wire into the built in transformer in that lamp kit. I've been running them for over 4 or more years, and never had an issue, and there made in the USA. It's hard to to believe there 8 dollars... With the bulb... The bulb cost that by itself in most cases...
EDD

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:42:34 pm »

nice! thanks Grin
holaplaneta

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 03:46:55 pm »

Do you mean this model?

Lights of America 18'' Under Cabinet Strip Light

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-18-Under-Cabinet-Fluorescent-Light/16877468

I ask cause it is 18 bucks not 8. But I really need to replace my marquee light and I was wondering if you could help me with the exact model.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:27:15 pm by holaplaneta » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 07:08:59 pm »

I hate to admit it this, but Walmart sales an 18inch under cabinet light, with the bulb for 8 dollars... It looks almost exactly like a nintendo style, infact I have 5 nintendo cabs and all of them have that exact fixture, using the original cord, that I wire into the built in transformer in that lamp kit. I've been running them for over 4 or more years, and never had an issue, and there made in the USA. It's hard to to believe there 8 dollars... With the bulb... The bulb cost that by itself in most cases...

+1!

The 18" Wal-Mart special is made in USA and PERFECT.
holaplaneta

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 02:14:53 am »

So it is Lights of America 18'' Under Cabinet Strip Light then? Thanks!
VertexGuy
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:41:50 am »

+1!

I noticed walmart slowly phasing out the 18 " tube models and switching to LED or battery powered.
better snag 2 to 4 while you can.
Home depot also has a decent version for under 20 bux.
jessiewonka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 08:15:55 pm »

I'm not sure the Walmart one is fluorescent any longer. In any case, this one on Amazon is, and still pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/GE-18-Inch-Fluorescent-Fixture-16466/dp/B000HJ75PW/

Seems like it would work fine? This is for a Gyruss. I got into the existing one and saw it had several patched wires, and the whole thing is pretty beat up. How tough will it be to wire up? The Gyruss plug shows 5 leads, crazy it takes that many to turn a light on.

Hunting for a Gyruss top marque bracket and Centuri coin door.
VertexGuy
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:11:48 pm »

I'm not sure the Walmart one is fluorescent any longer. In any case, this one on Amazon is, and still pretty cheap.

Seems like it would work fine? This is for a Gyruss. I got into the existing one and saw it had several patched wires, and the whole thing is pretty beat up. How tough will it be to wire up? The Gyruss plug shows 5 leads, crazy it takes that many to turn a light on.

Also note that the on off switch is a part of the old light fixture.
I modded mine to use a modern one from walmart but kept the original on off switch.
jessiewonka

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 12:04:24 am »

Also note that the on off switch is a part of the old light fixture.
I modded mine to use a modern one from walmart but kept the original on off switch.

I think I decided to work with the one it came with, which isn't in too bad of shape other than the three patches -- still unsure why someone would do that, as the whole thing seems original. Also wasn't entirely sure how to wire up the new one.

Hunting for a Gyruss top marque bracket and Centuri coin door.
ccgamesceo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »

The walmart one is $8 in store. I've installed a few in my cab's. No one will ever know. They are great.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:38:48 am »

The walmart one is $8 in store. I've installed a few in my cab's. No one will ever know. They are great.

I bought the Wal-Mart one in the last two weeks. They still have it.

It's by far the best light out there for the money. Shit, just the bulb alone costs more at some places.
Furniture_Nerd

1985 was... HOW long ago?!? Yeesh.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2016, 01:39:01 pm »

I just put one in my Spy Hunter (the lights of America one) and it works pretty good. I'd had it sitting on my parts shelf for several months. I was hoping to correct a noise issue in my Spy Hunter (which it didn't) by taking the existing light fixture out of the equation. But this new light does pretty good so I don't know that I'll even bother with trying to hunt down lamp starters and the other garb to make the original lights work again. I already invested 7 bucks in a fluorescent bulb for the old lights, but fortunately I thin the bulb will also work in the Lights of America fixture. I'm pretty sure I didn't buy my fixture at Wally World though.  I never shop there, so I'm betting I bought it at Home Despot (pun intended) or Lowe's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I am nerdy about furniture...and a lot of other things. But mostly furniture. And a lot of other things.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: