John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:42:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bondo  (Read 5957 times)
gusmoney

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2014, 03:56:28 pm »

I need to fill some errant holes in my wood CP and I guess Bondo is called for to seal them up.

I have never worked with Bondo, however, last night I headed out to Home Depot to track some down and couldn't find it. 

Would someone be able to tell me a)where to purchase and b) which variety of Bondo I need to patch wood holes?

Appreciated.
mrdude

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:56:22 pm »

I personally haven't used Bondo with wood, but have used it on cars. It can be found at auto parts stores in the auto body section and used to also be found at Wal-Mart in the automotive section. I'm not sure if that's the case.

You are looking for typical body filler. They make lighter stuff that is used in skim coating cars for super smooth surfaces.

Typically it is pretty simple to do. Just mix the stuff up in the ratio that it calls for on the package and then you have a few minutes to work with it before it hardens. Do your best to scrape off excess while it is soft to save yourself sanding time. If you have small holes they also make something else (I forgot what it's called) that is basically a pre-mixed tube for quick light duty jobs that you can spread on. Don't forget to get some spreaders too.  If this is your first time using Bondo be prepared to sand. And then when you think it's good, sand some more.
OriginalTHK

John's Evil Clone!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:56:39 am »

I need to fill some errant holes in my wood CP and I guess Bondo is called for to seal them up.

I have never worked with Bondo, however, last night I headed out to Home Depot to track some down and couldn't find it. 

Would someone be able to tell me a)where to purchase and b) which variety of Bondo I need to patch wood holes?

Appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondo-Home-Solutions-Wood-Filler/dp/B0007ZG9T4/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1408625781&sr=1-1&keywords=wood+bondo
lojack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 11:05:18 am »

walmart sells bondo in the automotive section

vids: MKI-IV, KI 1&2, Cocktail centipede, Street Fighter 2, Space Invaders Deluxe, Asteroids Deluxe, Tekken 4&5 and Soul Calibur 2
offset

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 08:17:18 am »

I've used bondo quite a few times, first time with my Qbert cabinet.   I found it at Lowes.   I bought an extra tube of the hardener as over time you probably wont get enough in the packaging.    Get some of those plastic putty knife sets for smoothing/applying.

The big trick is to not mix up a big batch at one time.   Use smaller batches at a time as the stuff will start to harden/dry up quickly, so your workflow should be mix up (according to directions), apply in small batches, use the putty knifes (less to sand off later), repeat.

It sands down pretty well with your normal scaling of sand paper grit (ie. 80/150/220) down to your needed smoothness.

Oh, and important, proper ventilation Smiley

Here is a good example video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgeQMeCWGWI
jumblejunkie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 12:43:37 pm »

Bondo isn't to bad, but it could take multiple sessions to make it look right, keep that in mind. Buy lots and lots of sandpaper.

VertexGuy
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 11:26:12 pm »

Buy the right sandpaper..I use 3M automotive sandpaper.
I can buy three pieces and sand a whole cab covered in bondo..
so long as you don't clog the paper (sanding wet bondo)  or rip it up.
VertexGuy
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:29:04 pm »

I've used bondo quite a few times, first time with my Qbert cabinet.   I found it at Lowes.   I bought an extra tube of the hardener as over time you probably wont get enough in the packaging.    Get some of those plastic putty knife sets for smoothing/applying.

The big trick is to not mix up a big batch at one time.   Use smaller batches at a time as the stuff will start to harden/dry up quickly, so your workflow should be mix up (according to directions), apply in small batches, use the putty knifes (less to sand off later), repeat.

It sands down pretty well with your normal scaling of sand paper grit (ie. 80/150/220) down to your needed smoothness.

Oh, and important, proper ventilation Smiley

Here is a good example video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgeQMeCWGWI

You can mix a whole tray so long as you don't add way to much hardener.
The tube of hardener that comes with a can of bondo is actually enough for that whole can.
You want a very light pink color.. not dark or near red.
Cut a big piece of heavy card board to use as a mixing board.
Use a clean spreader... clean that spreader after you are done laying the bondo, you can re use those.. I scrape the excess off then use a piece of small sandpaper to
smooth off the rest.
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:59:16 am »

Appreciated.

Home Depot has it in the paint department.
VertexGuy
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:41:44 am »

yeah ive noticed bondo popping up in hardware stores in the wood repair and paint section. Seems it became popular with furniture and cab fixing.
DrewZod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 06:39:53 pm »

I bought my "all purpose bondo" in Home Depot right next to the caulk, $11.00
VertexGuy
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 12:22:37 am »

I use Platinum body filler..  
mainly for autobody .. its $40 a gallon .. used over a gallon on this car.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:27:42 am by VertexGuy » Logged
gusmoney

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 11:08:26 pm »

Thank you for all the help guys.

I ended up getting it at Lowe's as the people at HD had never heard of it and didn't know where to find it.

Used it for the first time this week and it is awesome stuff.  

My first build is coming to a close, should be done this weekend, and I am pretty excited TBH.  

Again, input is super appreciated.

-Gus
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: