John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
May 31, 2024, 10:43:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitor and PCB washing  (Read 1577 times)
StevesArcade

Its NOT impossible!

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:15:10 am »

Has anyone tried to wash a monitor or PCB?  I have washed a monitor before and I am considering washing a couple PCB's to clean them up.   Just wondering about peoples experiences. 

I don't use the dish washer.  I just wash and let dry for a few days.
mark6974

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:40:35 am »

I use water and dish and the pcb are like a new.
Some people use washing machine
P-feif

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 03:19:24 pm »

I just use a shop vac with a miniature brush kit. I don't like mixing water and electricity.
lordkahless214

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »

I have done it numerous times without ill effects, I use mean green and a garden hose for big parts and mean green and sink for smaller stuff.
The trick is to let it dry completely before you power up so it doesn't corrode your board or short anything, if you are worried about impurities then rinse with distilled water.

Really anything you do (or don't do) to clean electronics can be dangerous to them, the dust can create an insulator causing overheating chips, brushes can cause broken parts and scratched traces, water could corrode it and vacuums create static electricity, so pick your poison  Grin

iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:23:19 am »

I'm a huge fan of just sticking the whole boards in the dishwasher with no soap. Just make sure you let it dry like 3-4 days or put it into the oven at 150F for an hour before using it.

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: