John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:40:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Educated Offer on VS. Unisystem with Dr. Mario  (Read 3731 times)
Caroofikus

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2012, 05:44:05 am »

Greetings All,

I'm looking to buy my first arcade game and came across a VS Unisystem with Dr. Mario on Craigslist for $255. I've been lurking around the forums here and the KLOV site for about a year or so, but I'm not certain I have all of the information needed to make an offer that is both appealing to me and not insulting to the seller.

The cabinet is in decent shape, but does need a fair amount of work around the t-molding on the bottom left. The video color looks good, but the video itself is too far left (I'm assuming adjusting the H-hold would fix this). There are no decals on the side. The monitor bezel is plain, and I think that is original. However, I have seen some with the Dr. Mario theme and prefer that style.

Exidy shows the Dr. Mario conversion to be $200-$250 and shows it as "collector price" (not sure if that means collector quality, or simply to a collector). Based on that and given the work that it needs, I was thinking $125-$150. Any thoughts? I've read somewhere (here, maybe) that you always pay too much for your first machine and was hoping to avoid that.

I have five pictures but am unable to post them at the moment. I will upload them in a few hours.
Caroofikus

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 08:44:06 am »

Here are the images I have received of the machine.

Main View:

Damage on Left Near T-Molding:

Screen Off Center:

and

View of the Marquee:

Again, thank you for any advice you can give me!
Caroofikus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:50 pm »

Not looking to bump my own thread, just wanted to put an update on it.

I had a chance to take a look at the game today and the cabinet is in much more distress than I originally thought. The wood is brittle like a nature valley granola bar (though not as solid), there are large pieces gone from the front and bottom edges as well as some missing from the top rear.

The yellow paint job it has on it now is pretty bad and makes me think it may be hiding something. Also, there's some hideous navy blue gloss enamel on places that should be a flat black. The coin slots have been painted with it too.

The color is good on the monitor, but it has some horizontal lines running through it. There are no cam locks. The marquee light has been rewired with a rather crude home job.

On a positive note, the game itself seems to operate flawlessly. I'll definitely have to mull this one over a bit longer before I may make my decision.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:40:32 am by Caroofikus » Logged
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 07:02:18 pm »

Ok, that was originally a , Jr, or Popeye cabinet.

The yellow looks horrible and was never an original finish. Looks like someone painted over the coin mechs and the coin door with black spray paint. BAD NEWS.

If the cabinet is brittle that means it's most likely water damaged and particle board. Particle board style Nintendo cabinets are not as desirable as plywood cabinet. I am not positive, but the Japanese cabs were made of plywood and the USA made cabs were particle board. It seems there are a lot more plywood cabs than particle board. Personally, I hate particle board and would not get this.

In that condition, I'd be looking to pay no more than $100 and would probably scrap the cabinet (if it's particle) and strip the parts and use them in a better cabinet you might find later.

On a side-note, and some food for thought...

Dr. Mario board alone is worth at least $100
and, a working Sanyo 20EZ is worth $150ish.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: