John's Arcade Forum - Classic Arcade and Pinball Collecting and Restoring Discussion Forum - RETRO MAME - Nintendo Vs Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:01:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the John's Arcade Forum. Glad you made it! Smiley

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donkey Kong speed  (Read 2048 times)
KongJunkie

View Profile
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »

Hey guys!

One month after fixing up my Jr machine, I came across an original machine, so naturally, I bought it. There's just two things that need adjusting. First, the color is off. I adjusted the brightness, but and the barrels are still a deep reddish brown. The cables on the elevator levels aren't even visible between the platforms. I'm pretty sure you can adjust the RGB levels but I haven't found where.

Secondly, and perhaps more noticeable, the game seems to play faster than every other DK machine I've ever played. I noticed the screen is narrow, so I need to adjust the vertical width, but I don't think making the screen wider is going to fix the speed. Has anyone ever experienced this before? If so, is there an adjustment I can do to fix it with?

Thanks for your advice!
John's Arcade
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:41:29 pm »

Hey guys!

One month after fixing up my Jr machine, I came across an original machine, so naturally, I bought it. There's just two things that need adjusting. First, the color is off. I adjusted the brightness, but and the barrels are still a deep reddish brown. The cables on the elevator levels aren't even visible between the platforms. I'm pretty sure you can adjust the RGB levels but I haven't found where.

Secondly, and perhaps more noticeable, the game seems to play faster than every other DK machine I've ever played. I noticed the screen is narrow, so I need to adjust the vertical width, but I don't think making the screen wider is going to fix the speed. Has anyone ever experienced this before? If so, is there an adjustment I can do to fix it with?

Thanks for your advice!

Adjust the colors on the neck board. There is a set of three pots and a set of two pots.

I've never heard of fast DK but anything is possible.
KongJunkie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 07:18:27 pm »

You rock, John! Thanks again!
iankellogg
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:47:17 am »

Is everything faster including sounds and music?

https://iankellogg.com
Cap kits, eproms, and more
Bach730

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 09:17:00 am »

I've noticed differences between roms in mame versions of dk. Can't recall if it was the japan vs US version of the board(rom) but the elevator screens were noticeably different in speed.
pinballjoe

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 08:10:35 pm »

The speed difference could be a mod kit that was installed, check to see if there is wires on the main board where they don't belong. one of the biggest things was to replace the clock circuit.

Pinball Joe
Tighe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 11:14:30 pm »

When I got my cabaret, it ran really fast, as well as had other issues, the problem was the the clock board:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbUge6SHIc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: